Neptune Aquatics

Salinity Hanna checker

so I received my Hanna salinity checker, I calibrated and everything. So when I went and check it my salt was higher than what my apex is saying. I usually sit at 34.5 but Hanna checker fluctuated all over and ended up at 38. Do I need to do without flow? Anybody has experienced this?

It shouldn’t matter. I’ve noticed that I have to swirl/sake it sometimes. But when I compare it to my refractometer it matches. I’ve had it for a year now and only done one calibration. I always dip it in RODI water after each test.

I think I’m returning it lol. Just like my nitrate Hanna checker. Doesn’t even turn on. No I have to send it in to them.

I would not trust apex salinity probe as a reference

Not doubting you, but why? I'm looking into automation in the next year or so and am gathering info on the pros/cons of each system.

so I received my Hanna salinity checker, I calibrated and everything. So when I went and check it my salt was higher than what my apex is saying. I usually sit at 34.5 but Hanna checker fluctuated all over and ended up at 38. Do I need to do without flow? Anybody has experienced this?

Do you have a (calibrated) refractometer, or another salinity-measuring device you can use outside of the APEX? If two things are telling me two different measurements, I'd personally want a third before making any assumptions about which is correct.

In my experience the Apex salinity monitor has never been very accurate, at least not more accurate than +/- 1-2 ppt. It normally sways around through about a 1.5-2 ppt range over the day/night when I know salinity in my tank is constant. It is helpful to alert for big-picture problems like detecting an ATO failure but not for an actual reading.

I always manually check with my Milwaukee when I want to know my salinity. And when I do I double check the Apex against it to make sure it hasn’t drifted too far.

In my experience the Apex salinity monitor has never been very accurate, at least not more accurate than +/- 1-2 ppt. It normally sways around through about a 1.5-2 ppt range over the day/night when I know salinity in my tank is constant. It is helpful to alert for big-picture problems like detecting an ATO failure but not for an actual reading.

I always manually check with my Milwaukee when I want to know my salinity. And when I do I double check the Apex against it to make sure it hasn’t drifted too far.

Exactly the same. Not good for absolute measurements, only relative. And when it changes, it’s time to investigate. For me, it’s usually bubbles in the probe or a skimmer overflow.

You should test out of a cup to eliminate the flow. It will stabilize in a few seconds. I believe the particles moving in solution tends to cause the erratic reading especially in a fresh salt water mix. I too was ready to junk it, now my Milwaukee sits as a reference.

Going on well over a year with my Hanna salinity checker. Always been spot on even without calibration. Double checked to Milwaukee every so often and all is well. I would definitely give it my seal of approval but manufacturing errors do occur. My salinity is at 1.026 and my apex always reads .028-.029 cause it’s the dumbest smart probe ever lol.

I’ll echo what TLR said. I haven’t had any noticeable issues with my Hanna. But admittedly I do not have any way of verifying since it’s my only salinity checker.

I think you want to float the calibration fluid to have it similar to the tank temp. The checker accounts for temp in the calculation but it is good to calibrate at the temp of you tank. At least that is my understanding, guided by telegraham on YouTube

You should test out of a cup to eliminate the flow. It will stabilize in a few seconds. I believe the particles moving in solution tends to cause the erratic reading especially in a fresh salt water mix. I too was ready to junk it, now my Milwaukee sits as a reference.

Wow. That worked. Tested out of a cup and my numbers are solid. No more bouncing around.

Back