High Tide Aquatics

Salinity

I have yet to calibrate my refractometer, but occasionally check with rodi and store bought NSW. Always on point

They one thing most folks forget is to clean and ensure the hinges are smooth. That will impact your readings if not
:) not healthy practice my man. Calibrating refracto is highly recommended

Well ... it is pretty obvious if your salt mix has been exposed to moisture.
I hate it when you pick up a bag and realize it is a solid brick because some warehouse worker was careless with a box cutter.
:mad:
Yeah last "cheap Instant Ocean!!!!" purchase I made had 2 of the bags that were super solid. Granted I used them anyways because at the time I was keeping fish alive in an aiptasia infested tank so didn't care about calcium or alkalinity, but yeah when I got my 200g tank up I decided to "splurge" on salt.

I also put my salt mix on a scale and weigh before mixing. Then follow up with hannah, although not every time (shame on me lol). My scale has sharpie pen writing all over it to remind of how many grams of each various brand of salt to use per 5 gallons of water (more like 4.5g or to the designated marking I wrote on the bucket).

:) not healthy practice my man. Calibrating refracto is highly recommended
But if my rodi reads zero, and NSW reads 1.026.... seems like a acceptable risk. Plus, there are times my rodi reservoir runs dry... so my tank creeps up in sg anyway -- proving at least in my tanks sg stability is nice but not the most critical variable to control.

Something @rygh reminded me a long time ago is that once you drop the couple drops of water on the refractometer the water will change temperature much closer to the temperature of the refractometer. It’s probably a good idea to store it in the sump cabinet so that it’s close to the temperature of the tank.

Something @rygh reminded me a long time ago is that once you drop the couple drops of water on the refractometer the water will change temperature much closer to the temperature of the refractometer. It’s probably a good idea to store it in the sump cabinet so that it’s close to the temperature of the tank.
What I read is that its recomended to store the refracto and its cal solutions where the water to be tested is.
But in my case since my mixing station is in the garage it get way too cold or too hot. So what I actually do is take the water sample to inside the house and wait for 30min before I use it so refracto, the cal solution and the water sample are all withen the range of the refracto spec range.
Now I started using heater in my mixing station, so I at least solved the winter issue. I keep refracto and its solution inside the house, when I mix I heat the water while mixing it to 75 degree so I make sure am mixing 35ppt indeed.

Still the summer is a challenge..

\
We ran an experiment at the last talk. Had everyone bring their refracs and calibration solutions. After calibrating, we switched solutions and tested using that. There were more wrongs than rights. Even the 2 Milwaukee’s were off. But off by the same amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I believe the reason for more "wrongs" lies with the calibration solutions. I tried this awhile ago with @Rostato and we concluded that the calibration solution that I had (from BRS)
was not accurate. It tested at 1.027. Since I used it to calibrate my refractometer back when I had my nuvo20, my tank salinity was always 1.027 and I was none the wiser.
Since then, I've upgraded to the Milwaukee and use RO to calibrate/check that it reads 0. Now I trust my readings a lot more.

\
I believe the reason for more "wrongs" lies with the calibration solutions. I tried this awhile ago with @Rostato and we concluded that the calibration solution that I had (from BRS)
was not accurate. It tested at 1.027. Since I used it to calibrate my refractometer back when I had my nuvo20, my tank salinity was always 1.027 and I was none the wiser.
Since then, I've upgraded to the Milwaukee and use RO to calibrate/check that it reads 0. Now I trust my readings a lot more.
I personally agree with your approach.
I do not like the approach of: look there, other are inconsistent so it's ok to be inconsistent. This is common theme I see with test equipments vendors trying to downplay inaccuracies.
If there is inconsistency the right thing to do is to try and figure out why. Not to say let's live with it..

One of the reasons I pay attention to calibration procedures and cal solutions is because of how important the base line is in any measurment. If you seek accuracy you have to start with solid foundation, which in this case is the calibration procedure of the instrument..

Last edited:
Now this...

Since we’re on the topic of salinity, does anyone intentionally run theirs high (or low)? I think I remember that battle corals run their tanks at 1.028.

Since we’re on the topic of salinity, does anyone intentionally run theirs high (or low)? I think I remember that battle corals run their tanks at 1.028.
I believe BC run on the high end to reduce hos dosing and to run bit high major elements... there is a link on my jurnal someone posted where Aramco explained why he run it high.

The gist: he accidentally ran high once, things looked better, so he kept it high. I don’t think he’s done much research (or documented it) into why it’s better for him.

The gist: he accidentally ran high once, things looked better, so he kept it high. I don’t think he’s done much research (or documented it) into why it’s better for him.

I have a feeling his observation was due to higher consetrations of trace elements due to higher salinity..just prediction

That’s what I remembered. Just figured I’d ask to see if anyone else was doing the same thing and why. His reasoning seemed very flimsy. You don’t need to run salinity high just to keep major, minor, and trace elements elevated.

Got a new Milwaukee refracto today cause mine broke..
Look how wishy washy the calibration instruction is.
Inside the package there is a card that strongly say use only distilled water to calibrate...
In the same box there is the manual which on page 9 say, use DI or distilled water lol...

Attachments

• 20200229_214245.jpg
    20200229_214245.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 20200229_214234.jpg
    20200229_214234.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 155
Back