Neptune Aquatics

Salt mixing temperature

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
The instructions for mixing instant ocean reef crystals say nothing about mixing temperature. My RODI water is at 58°. I don’t aim to get perfect salinity in the brute - just want to get it in the ballpark and adjust later. Can I mix it so cold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s happening...

bf80e940e7319feac5e478e74a1b024e.jpg

I would advice to heat up the water before or while mixing to be at least close to your tank temp. Salinity will change once temp change on the salt water mix.
It should not be a big deal just keep in mind that salinity will change with temp. So depend on how tight you want to run your paramaters and salinity on the system and how large of a water change u r planning.

I would advice to heat up the water before or while mixing to be at least close to your tank temp. Salinity will change once temp change on the salt water mix.
It should not be a big deal just keep in mind that salinity will change with temp. So depend on how tight you want to run your paramaters and salinity on the system and how large of a water change u r planning.
Salinity doesn’t change with temperature. But your reading could if you are testing water that is a different temp from that with which you calibrated. If you calibrate at room temp, and then just let the sample warm up to room temp you will get an accurate reading.

I’m not even checking the salinity in the brute. I’m just getting it in the ballpark by salt weight. I’ll measure and adjust once all the water is in the tank and at the correct temperature.

And this is the first fill - starting a new tank. Forgot to mention that important bit of information :)

Something about that new tank setup that I just love. There's no algae problems, no monitoring of any elements, no worries about livestock dying on you, just the beginning.

Salinity doesn’t change with temperature. But your reading could if you are testing water that is a different temp from that with which you calibrated. If you calibrate at room temp, and then just let the sample warm up to room temp you will get an accurate reading.
My understanding It does. Temp will actually change salinity. Temp change density which change salinity.

Ok, what I meant was that if you add the right amount of salt to cold water, it will be the right salinity when you warm it up, including small test amounts that you do while you are mixing. You definitely don’t need to heat up the large container of water to mix the salt as you suggested, it’s completely fine to mix cold. Just let the tiny water sample warm up to the normal calibrated temp when you check it. And for the love of everything good, don’t use a hydrometer like that article suggests :)

Thanks to you all, I have learned my lesson wrt salinity. I now use a Milwaukee and a good refractometer calibrated carefully and with the right temps.

Ok, what I meant was that if you add the right amount of salt to cold water, it will be the right salinity when you warm it up, including small test amounts that you do while you are mixing. You definitely don’t need to heat up the large container of water to mix the salt as you suggested, it’s completely fine to mix cold. Just let the tiny water sample warm up to the normal calibrated temp when you check it. And for the love of everything good, don’t use a hydrometer like that article suggests :)
Agreed with all. Except saying do not heat up the water(if it's too cold) while mixing. If we agree temp change salinity, mixing at much lower temp will result in wrong salinity target because even thu we are seeing 35ppt as an example at 60 degree, once water heat up in the system after the wc, it will change its salinity which means we used water with different salinity than our intention..
Look like the best method is to add salt by weight..I started doing that also

Last edited:
I’m sorry I wasn’t clear enough and you both missed the point I was trying to make twice. But I have no interest in being argumentative or repeating myself, so just carry on. There are many paths to success in this hobby.

Back