Jestersix

Schmitty's 40g Nuvo Reef

I just have one clown fish, what should my next fish be?

• Another Clown

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Anthias

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 6-line wrasse

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • watchman goby

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • lawnmower blenny

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • yasha goby

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Something else(please list in comments)

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’ll test those tomorrow but 150 for how long per day?

At least 4 hours. I have peak lighting with respiration periods every 10 minutes for 5 hours. Total lighting period of 13 ish hours.
6c96e41af1db5c273503003c4718b585.jpg

Last edited:
Just cloud simulation and to give me a more bluer look every 10 minutes. This lets the tank get good consistent par but pulls the whites out here and there to make it better to look at more often. I just hate the color of the white led’s.

It looks like a lot of us and violet coming out, but it’s only 10% and the fixture only has 1 led of each compared to 3 of the blues and whites. The whites go down a lot.

While you have the PAR meter I would change your settings to get at least 125 PAR on the bottom and no more than 350ish up top. Preferably 275-300.

Just find the best balance for your set up.

Once you find that. Bring it back to where you were and slowly ramp to your new settings.

Ok, Im guessing Im gonna have to go to 100%; so should I bump down the timing eventually to four or five hours maxed out as opposed to my current 7.5hrs?

Well photosaturation can occur over long periods of time with lower intensity or shorter periods with higher intensity. So going from 80 to 100% intensity is a 25% increase (not really but for sake of easiness), so if you reduce your lighting period by 20% you'll have the same level of light getting to your corals. Now it was already mentioned you might not have enough light so I would reduce the light time by even less than that. But do so gradually dont just blast with new settings immediately

Ok, kind of confused... Once I get the percentage of intensity I need for the right par, what would you suggest I do for length of time ultimately? I know I can't do it right away , but what am I striving for after acclimation? 150-200 par at around 7-8 hrs ramping on and off for an hour or two?

Thank you to all of you... Of course Ill monitor the tank more intensely as I adjust lighting. Really hoping this helps, for me zoas are kind of my favorite. Look forward to thriving zoa life so I can get more.

So it looks like dropping the light a few inches and taking off the hood and increasing the intensity to 100% I’ll be close to where I want to be... I’ve dropped it a few inches and taken off the hood and gonna watch it for a few days before increasing intensity

Last edited:
Really like the false cabinet bottom above the tank to hide the lighting, but then opens up the area when you open the doors.

Ever get the Apex thing figured out?

Sold all but one anemone and now I just found a little baby one about to grow into another RBTA... I have a question and I think I know the answer. My Kessil light is over 7 years old, it still works but is it possible that its not "working" the way it's supposed to and that might be causing some of the bubble algae issues? I just scrapped all the rocks down and gt rid of most of the bubble algae, cleaned the return pump, cleaned the protein skimmer, moved one of my mp10s to get a different flow... testing the water at 1.025 salinity / alk 9.3 / cal 430 / nitrate 14 / temp 78.6 / PH 8.2

I currently run my lights from
12:30 ramping up from 10% to 2:00 at 85% 2-5 pm where it reaches 100% and then dips back down to 85% at 8pm and ramping back down to 10% when the lights turn off at 10pm.

It seems like that's plenty of light but the zoas are all reaching up toward the sky elongated...

ANY TIPS? I do have a brand new Kessil A360X but I didnt want to hook up til I get the par meter borrowed...

Back