got ethical husbandry?

Schmitty's 40g Nuvo Reef

I just have one clown fish, what should my next fish be?

• Another Clown

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Anthias

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 6-line wrasse

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • watchman goby

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • lawnmower blenny

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • yasha goby

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Something else(please list in comments)

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schmitty

Supporting Member
Just got a new tank and added some water and rock/corals from the old tank and some Dr Tims... Gonna be trying to add lots in the next few months at a patient pace of course. Here's the first photos:

SandBag.jpg

40 lbs of sand
ROckbuilding.jpg

Glued some rock together with epoxy for my first time...
FirstRock.jpg

First rock put into tank...
Anemone.jpg

IMG_8690.jpg

LidTopper.jpg

Sump.jpg

TankCloudy.jpg

Looking really good!
Another clown. Six lines are assholes and Anthias need more swimming room. Most people add clowns first to the tank to establish them. Then kind of a descending order of aggressiveness after that so the most aggressive is put in last. That's always the theory anyway -- what most of us do is have a great plan and stick to it till we go to the LFS on fish delivery day and say "oh! I have to have that ... and that... and that."

My six line was a model citizen until it jumped out. It also does a good job of eating some of the unwanted pests that can sometimes hitchhike into the tank.

YES, I need someone to eat the hitchhikers... I think Ive already spotted some weird worms peeping out of live rock. UGH!

I took some photos last night but realized too late that I gotta change the return so I dont get all the bubbles making it look like it's snowing in there...
750_SNowingOverview.jpg

ACAN.jpg

BirdsNest.jpg

DuncanPesci.jpg

Frogspawn.jpg

GreenMushroom.jpg

Looking good. Hitchhikers are mostly good addition by the way. There are only a few bad things - worms are almost never that bad, even the much maligned eunice (unless they huge, but most don't). They often do a great job as part the clean-up crew, and add interest.

In terms of next fish, I'd get another clown of the same species. I'd def avoid anthias in a 40 gallon tank, as they prefer to be in a big group, and need lots of swimming space. Many species also need multiple feedings a day, at least until they are well established, this can put a huge strain on nutrient turnover in small system.

Looking good. Hitchhikers are mostly good addition by the way. There are only a few bad things - worms are almost never that bad, even the much maligned eunice (unless they huge, but most don't). They often do a great job as part the clean-up crew, and add interest.

In terms of next fish, I'd get another clown of the same species. I'd def avoid anthias in a 40 gallon tank, as they prefer to be in a big group, and need lots of swimming space. Many species also need multiple feedings a day, at least until they are well established, this can put a huge strain on nutrient turnover in small system.

Is it ok to add a clown? I was told you need to add oth clowns at same time or the one that is comfortable already will attack the newbie?

Do any of you know what this flat tube that looks like paper, kinda like those big inflatable guys on side of road in front of tire stores? I just found one that comes out of my rock when I feed tank...

Do any of you know what this flat tube that looks like paper, kinda like those big inflatable guys on side of road in front of tire stores? I just found one that comes out of my rock when I feed tank...
Photo? Vermatid snail web?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try and get a photo. In the meantime I dropped my kessil to 9 inches above the water with a ramping of

Intensity
1:00 12%
3:00 45
4:30 50
9:00 40
10:00 15

Color
1:00 0%
2:00 15
3:00 25
6:00 40
8:00 35
9:00 10
10:00 0

Just got back from a trip, my calcium was pretty much on point from the doser, but my alk was low(6). Gonna make some tweaks and get it on point and hopefully buy a new fish this weekend. Keep you posted.

Back