Kessil

Schmitty's 40g Nuvo Reef

I just have one clown fish, what should my next fish be?

• Another Clown

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Anthias

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 6-line wrasse

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • watchman goby

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • lawnmower blenny

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • yasha goby

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Something else(please list in comments)

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Red hornet update... seems like they enjoy the shade and protection of rocks
55ebabb90bc60a43c9cf1d71b2bdfc67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I’m looking to get a new fish and need your help!

As you know I have a 40g tank with 2 perc clowns, a Midas blenny, a yasha goby and pistol shrimp, a conch, and one emerald crab…

What’s your suggestion, this is probably my last fish. I was leaning toward six line but I’ve heard they can be mean?

Nice looking tank there. How often do you see the pistol shrimp? and is it paired with the goby?
I see the goby every day when I feed the tank, yes they are paired. The pistol shrimp is much more stealth, you definitely can see part of him during feed time but rarely does he come all the way out during lights on... They are awesome though so cool how they work together

Six line is perfect for that size tank and your current stock of fish but only add one once you’ve decided this will be your last fish. They are very territorial so they need a tank mates that have already established themselves.

Six line is perfect for that size tank and your current stock of fish but only add one once you’ve decided this will be your last fish. They are very territorial so they need a tank mates that have already established themselves.
That’s what I was thinking but the LFS talked me out of it saying they can be too aggressive? I always thought they helped keep the tank in order a bit as being a fish that likes to swim all over

4 line wrasse are very similar and are reported to be less aggressive than the 6 line. Downside is they can be triple the cost.

Hmmm, Ill look into it. What are the benefits of them? Do they eat flat works and pests?
Here is an excerpt from Live Aquaria.

In the home aquarium, the Four Line Wrasse requires a peaceful, established environment with a generous supply of hiding places and live rock in which it can take refuge and forage for food. Here, the Four Line Wrasse will search for live foods in the form of microfauna, small crustaceans and pyramidellid snails (clam parasites), and commensal flatworms. The Four Line Wrasse is also known to feed on smaller unwanted pests on live rock such as bristleworms.

Here is the link to some more info: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/6748/?pcatid=6748

Here is an excerpt from Live Aquaria.

In the home aquarium, the Four Line Wrasse requires a peaceful, established environment with a generous supply of hiding places and live rock in which it can take refuge and forage for food. Here, the Four Line Wrasse will search for live foods in the form of microfauna, small crustaceans and pyramidellid snails (clam parasites), and commensal flatworms. The Four Line Wrasse is also known to feed on smaller unwanted pests on live rock such as bristleworms.

Here is the link to some more info: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/6748/?pcatid=6748
Thank you! Seems like eating bristleworm and flatworm could be super benefitial, Ive been contemplating renting a Harlequin from someone to get rid of my Asterina's... Ill look into four line, sounds cool. I also love the royal gamma, and that bright yellow wrasse. Not sure if theyll all play nicely with my two clowns, midas blenny and pistol/yasha combo...

Back