Jestersix

Scratches on the glass - looking for advice - Tunze Long & Ceramic Blades

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
I need your help - I now have at least three visible scratches on the glass of this 6-month-old tank (urchins, haha), and I would like to stop the fire.

One of them is outside (!), so this is on us, but the other scratches could be from the algae scraper (or other reasons?).

I have the standard Tunze long with the ceramic blades. I know Telegraham believes that the ceramic blades scratched his glass, so he stopped using them, but I cannot think the steel is more reliable.

I'm curious if you were able to keep your glass scratch-free and how you were able to achieve this.

IMG_1590.jpeg
IMG_1591.jpeg

Ceramic blade can absolutely scratch ceramic, the 4d aquatics blades for the TUNZE should not if installed properly (and it is hard to install them improperly). I have five of them in service and no problems, but using a ceramic blade on its own, yep scratch.
I have 5 of them because I leave them in the tank, but I don't use them without making sure there is no snail under it. You can also scratch with the metal blades, snails, sand, and almost anything hard - but not nearly as easily as acrylic.

I think Jim scratched his the same way I did, but I'll ask.

I use the Tunze Strong on my tank with two of the 86mm stainless steel blades on each end to make cleaning the glass faster. According to Tunze directions it’s best to only use it length-wise so if sand/debris gets stuck between the plastic blades it can fall out easier. I only use it vertically at the bottom of the glass. Like washing a car, always start from the top and work your way down. The closer you get to the bottom the higher the chances of getting sand stuck between the blades. Also, always remove it from the tank when not in use so spirorbid worms don’t grow on it which can cause scratches.
IMG_1716.jpeg
IMG_1717.jpeg
IMG_1718.jpeg

Last edited:
I use the Tunze Strong on my tank with two of the 86mm stainless steel blades on each end to make cleaning the glass faster. According to Tunze directions it’s best to only use it length-wise so if sand/debris gets stuck between the plastic blades it can fall out easier. I only use it vertically at the bottom of the glass. Like washing a car, always start from the top and work your way down. The closer you get to the bottom the higher the chances of getting sand stuck between the blades. Also, always remove it from the tank when not in use so spirorbid worms don’t grow on it which can cause scratches.
View attachment 56324
View attachment 56325
View attachment 56326
Same here

Back