Cali Kid Corals

Sea shells for CA reactor

JAR

I am visiting family in Sanibel Florida.
There are piles and piles of small,clean, sea shells on the beaches here.
Is it OK to use them as media in my CA reactor?
I think it should be fine myself.

Like these
http://www.seashells.com/assortseashells.htm

From what I remember, shells are bad in reactors. I only say that as I remember when I used to run a reactor buying the largest sized sand (effectively crushed coral) and having to pick out the shells from the actual sand.

I didnt fully believe the above statements...but looks like they were accurate, at least as to bivalve shells.
http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/18/m018p187.pdf

kvosstra said:
I didnt fully believe the above statements...but looks like they were accurate, at least as to bivalve shells.
http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/18/m018p187.pdf

That'll teach you to doubt me in the future!! :p

I guess I just come to assume that most statements on reef forums are factually untrue, or a part truth, unless someone cites to something.

Lesson learned!

kvosstra said:
I guess I just come to assume that most statements on reef forums are factually untrue, or a part truth, unless someone cites to something.

Lesson learned!

gresh outputs nothing but truth ;) (can I get a free bottle of something live for the endorsement?)

pixelpixi said:
I'm the same way, Kyle. There's a lot of misinformation out there.

definitely nothing wrong in questioning everything too, it's probably better that way to educate yourself from different sources as well.

BAR members tend to look out for each other a lot more than others, such that you get a lot better responses (usually... sometimes they end in food recipes and smiley face only replies though).

pixelpixi said:

There is, but, you also have to know when some one is telling the truth :) I don't just spout misinformation. This hobby is my life and I want to see it grow, not die. By spouting misinformation you are by defacto working against the hobby. I ask you this, what is there for me to gain my telling you something wrong?

GreshamH said:
pixelpixi said:

There is, but, you also have to know when some one is telling the truth :) I don't just spout misinformation. This hobby is my life and I want to see it grow, not die. By spouting misinformation you are by defacto working against the hobby. I ask you this, what is there for me to gain my telling you something wrong?

LIES!

Absolutely :lol:

You knew because I didn't use many smilies :lol:

I didn't mean you specifically, Gresham. Also, I think almost no one in the hobby is intentionally misleading; I just think they believe things which are untrue. It's hard to separate the variables.

Confession: I have made scientific assumptions based on a hypothisis that proves to not valid and then shared it. As encouraging details emerge, I tend to share them even if it eventually leads to a dead end. Perhaps I'm not the only one who has been guilty of testing convention and jumping to conclusions based on research that leads us down the wrong path. It's all part of the science of research. Rewriting the rules based on new discovery. I may play it safe by starting any sentence regarding hypothisis or assumption "I could be wrong but IMO................."

There's an old story that demonstrates this concept: Bill and John both bought horses with no knowlege of caring for them. Bill asked John what he was feeding his horse. John said "turpintine". Next day Bill came to John and said, "Hey John, I thought you said you were feeding your horse turpintine"...........John said, "Yup". Bill said, "well I fed my horse turpintine and he died!" John said, "So'd mine".

Back