Jestersix

Securing Tanks for Earthquakes

My theory behind this was always if there was a quake big enough to cause problems with my tank, would i even care about what happened to the tank.

Have heard that securing it to the wall can actually make it worse then better, but have nor proof for such rumor.

I agree with Bryan.

As I recall from the last big earthquake the multiple tanks (4-5 20-40g tanks) suffered minimally as far as splashing. We took care of ourselves first - tanks came wayyyyyyy afterwards.

I would say having a lip on the tank stand helps depending on the size of your tank....how wide and tall your tank is. True if you tank is big and if it suffered greatly in an earthquake...then you probabaly also have other issues to with your house. I also stay away from glass tanks since i have a 20 gallon glass tank break in the 89 quake. I would get also get stuff for power outages for the tank after a big quake....asumming the tank is ok, you may not have power for sometime.....battery powered air pumps, etc...

If you look at the video you see the failure point is when the stand, with tiny legs that are maybe 6" across with what a 5 foot height (if you count the top of the tank), falls over, that whole thing was set up to fail on purpose just for the video.

I'm with Bryan as well, large enough quake to shake my tank over, well my tank is wider than it's tall so fat chance of that happening, now if you have a very tall and skinny stand with a tall and skinny tank like in the video (looks like one of those 12" wide tanks), then yeah sure secure the stand, and risk your tank sliding off.

My biggest worry is that lots of water will slosh out and maybe hit my expensive timer switches, perhaps even causing a fire! :D

For me, the decision was easy.
Our family (kid particularly) spend a lot of time near the tank in the family room,
so even a low chance of collapse and crushing people is not acceptable.
So my stand is secured to the wall with big bolts into the studs.

Also : All power nearby has GFCI, in case of major water spillage.

We have the stands bolted to the floors, then lips on the stands made of FRP to keep the tank from sliding.

I think the assertion that any quake big enough to knock your tank over will also knock your entire house down is an extraordinary claim.

Back