got ethical husbandry?

should i buy a trident?

highly considering buying a trident since, and wanted to see if anyone has any complaints on them.
I have a lot of apex equipment right now and their control with DOS is a big point, even though I considered reef bot, ion director, and kh guardian.

I'm fairly happy with mine, although I don't have experience with any of the competitors.
I still have my dosing on a fixed program, but that's me wanting to know how it changes and being paranoid.

There are a lot of strong opinions on this topic. You aren’t going to get a simple answer. I like my Trident, and I’m happy I got it. There are some things that really bug me about it. I haven’t tried any of the others.

I also use DOS dosers but I don’t use the Trident data to control them automatically. I increase or decrease their scheduled dosing manually based in Alk readings. One great thing about getting lots of data points for Alk is that you can schedule more Alk to be delivered when you can see it’s getting used up more (when the lights are on, and especially at full brightness) to level it out over the day.

An auto tester is a great addition to your system. You learn a ton about what affects alkalinity (one of the most important things to keep stable)

I had a Trident, it worked great right out of the box until the time I took it offline. I ultimately ended up switching to the KHG. I found that constant monitoring of calcium and magnesium was almost completely useless. It bothered me that I had to pay a premium price for reagents, 2/3 of which I was basically just using for the sake of using them.

I had major problems with the KHG out of the box. Part of which I believe was damage in shipping. But I finally seem to have gotten everything sorted out. Their support on the FB group is excellent. The KHG is definitely less of a plug n play solution though.

As others have said, I'm not sure I would trust the auto dosing adjustments. I always used the data from the testing, and manually adjusted dosing. It keeps you connected to what's going on, and can key you in to other issues that might be affecting alkalinity consumption, other than just coral growth.

I also don’t have experience with any of the competition but I do like my trident a lot. I actually have 2: one for DT and one for my frag tank.

would I change stuff about it? Sure, it’s not perfect but if mine broke I’d definitely replace it.

Since I’m an apex unit owner I bought the trident from aquatic collection yesterday while it was on sale. Also bought the 6 months reagent. My observation in general is that it’s a preference but I’m just a fan of apex so I’m biased

it's a game changer. readings a little off but good base values. I switched it to manual testings to save reagents. I probably test it once a day after work or the following day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have the khg. I think whatever you pick, it’s really nice to have the automated testing. I have really enjoyed seeing the way the alk changes over a day and having it logged without having to do anything. I went for the khg cause it is controller independent, less expensive since it only does alk, and the test water goes back into the tank since the reagent is reef safe.

But I’ve heard good things about the trident and the relative plug and play with apex is nice. Khg is a bit awkward to setup and initially learn

I like the KHG because with the aim module it works with the Aled, only tests Alk, the reagent is cheap (in comparison), and I don’t need to have a waste container.

I just don’t want to test for cal, and mag...like ever. Ok maybe once a quarter. And I especially don’t want to deal with a waste container. Plus the KHG is cheaper

All of them work pretty well and have their own merits. You just need to ask yourself what’s important.

I like the KHG because with the aim module it works with the Aled, only tests Alk, the reagent is cheap (in comparison), and I don’t need to have a waste container.

I just don’t want to test for cal, and mag...like ever. Ok maybe once a quarter. And I especially don’t want to deal with a waste container. Plus the KHG is cheaper

All of them work pretty well and have their own merits. You just need to ask yourself what’s important.

To be fair about the waste container, the khg has a reagent container, where the trident holds reagents internal to its structure. So waste or reagent container is about the same. You don't have to worry about forgetting to empty a reagent container though. But if you set it right, the apex/trident is good at reminding you your waste container needs to be emptied.

Back