Kessil

Simple 40

Changes over the past month some negative, but mostly positive.

Changes in the past couple of months.
  • Adding more rock. (Caribsea I think)
  • Adding more coral - will add pictures once they look better ;-).
  • Introducing Chaeto, Burning Bush, and Pom Pom Macro.
  • Adding Pods
  • Turning off the UV.
  • Increase surface and sump water agitation - redesigning the sump areas.
  • Dosing Kalk.
Negatives
  • Fish aggression: after removing the flame angel, the six-line wrasse targets the Starki Damselfish. Six Line has a permanent home in the sump as of today.
  • Algae is starting to show up in the tank, not sure what kind
  • Alk, Phosphate, and Nitrates have been unstable due to the changes.
Positives
  • All the changes have been closely monitored and hopefully stabilizing in a few weeks.
  • All corals purchased have survived, even the Acan I accidentally cut in half with a bone cutter.
  • PH jumped from 7.9-8.05 to 8.05-8.25
  • Introduced first Acropora on 8/15/2024 - hoping it stays alive.

Negatives aren’t bad at all. When you add or remove a fish. They need to figure out the new picking order.
Adding or removing rock will change the chemistry. It just has to resettle. Thus algae and chemical swings.
All negatives are normal.

Negatives aren’t bad at all. When you add or remove a fish. They need to figure out the new picking order.
Adding or removing rock will change the chemistry. It just has to resettle. Thus algae and chemical swings.
All negatives are normal.
Thanks! Getting a group of fish to leave together in peace seems to be a challenge.

Maricultured vs Aquacultured

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this subject so I wanted to find out for myself what is myth and what is reality from my own experience.

Torch Corals:
I purchased 1 Indo tamer aquacultured and on 1 new york nicks maricultured.
  • Both came in without pests that I can tell and healthy.
  • The maricultured new york nick color was much nicer while the Indo tamer more dull. (just an observation)
  • the maricultured torch open/closed up more frequently but still extended full length of the tentacles.
  • Overnight the maricultured torch seems to nearing end of life. The aquacultured torch that was placed next to it seems to be doing well.
Acans
  • Aquacultured acans seems to hold their colors. Below is a maricultured Acan. Notice the rim is turning orange when it use to be more white. I have a feeling the acan will be orange soon.

These are my test corals. I wanted a path of success before I made a bigger investment. If the torch coral dies, this would be my first coral casualty (For this reset) :=)

IMG_9393.jpeg
IMG_9388.jpeg

Last edited:
Back