got ethical husbandry?

So why do people buy water?

I used to use only NSW and made a PVC frame to hold jugs in the trunk of my Corolla. Then I started testing it and comparing it with other people. The old Steinhart Aquarium's 10 cents/gal NSW originated at a pipe just off the coast and delivered NOT good water at times. The other main supplier at the time was Catalina, but it fell into bad water times, too, for awhile. This time around I am using salt mix and it is easy to make since I have to make RO anyway. Except of course when I had filter trouble, then I was panicking. At school I have a ton of space; at home it would be a different story because I do not have a garage.

I find the nsw is definitely not as "sterile" as mix, but I usually consider it free food.

However I'm mixing up some sterile water to cut my next water change with. My skimmer has been running really wet recently and overflowed into the sump. Now I have extra algae, so my plan is to use nutrient poor water for the next few water changes.

I find the nsw is definitely not as "sterile" as mix, but I usually consider it free food.

However I'm mixing up some sterile water to cut my next water change with. My skimmer has been running really wet recently and overflowed into the sump. Now I have extra algae, so my plan is to use nutrient poor water for the next few water changes.

Do you need a big fish poop container to go with the skimmer just in case?

I go through about 750gal every 2 weeks. I'm so thankful that I don't have to lug all that salt mix up the 35 steps. And oh the amounts of EBMUD water that I don't need to make all of that saltwater!

People buy water to put it in their tanks. :)
HTH

I also find NSW to be much dirtier than a fresh mix. Last time it rained the water was super dirty/yellow/brown due to all the runoff. Ill buy small amounts every now and then for ttm when I run out of my fritz mix. I never use it in my display though.

There is no way 3-4 box of salt mix is heavier than 750 gallons of water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know Rich Ross showed us his lazy system that didn't require any mixing or lifting. The nsw got pumped the the storage reservoir then from there was pumped to wherever it needed to go. If I had a reservoir that size, I'd probably do the same thing. I do make rodi and mix but at least my WCs are done automatically. No lifting at least.

I sell anywhere from 200 to 400 of mixed saltwater and 100 to 300 of rodi water every week. We decided not to sell Ocean water because it's collected from the docks in Monterey. If we were down south I would have no problem using natural seawater.

I sell anywhere from 200 to 400 of mixed saltwater and 100 to 300 of rodi water every week. We decided not to sell Ocean water because it's collected from the docks in Monterey. If we were down south I would have no problem using natural seawater.

Most of the stuff at the LFS here in the East Bay is collected in Half Moon Bay, however, I'm curious (if well filtered) what difference that would be from Monterey?

It's always best to mix your own water unless you cant... living in an apartment building or having a massive tank are perfect examples. I just sold 150 gallons of ro to a customer this week so he can fill up his tank with whatever salt he prefers asap. It's nice to have choices!! None of the stores in Stockton (where I live) provide water at all.

So anyone want to share details on real seawater delivery?
Cost per gallon, delivery cost, minimum gallons?
Pointer to a website?
The big problem with that seems to be that it is not easily available to the public.

So anyone want to share details on real seawater delivery?
Cost per gallon, delivery cost, minimum gallons?
Pointer to a website?
The big problem with that seems to be that it is not easily available to the public.

I pick my own up at Diable Corals. I do know that the guy that supplies it (and a number of other stores) will deliver to a house if the tank and/or order is big enough. Just East Bay though I believe.

I think Rich Ross said his guy's minimum is like 300-400 gallons. I don't know who it is though. I remember following a truck back from Half Moon Bay that was carrying saltwater for aquariums.

Not saying people should change just wanted to see the concept of buying water compare to making it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like saltwater on tap at some point. That'd solve a host of problems.
I see it as ordering takeout vs. cooking at home. Same idea-ish ;)

Very. The stuff we get out here in the East bay comes from "Bob the Water Guy." He runs it through an 8 to 10 step filtration process. It's not "raw" sea water.

Yep Neptune gets it from the same person. Cool guy. CRC is the one that mixes their own water.

I also have been buying my salt water even though I have an RO system. I figure less things for me to mess up.

Back