got ethical husbandry?

Solana 34g "Kids-Older-Now-Let's-Give-It-Another-Go" Reef

Post Sept Regional Frag Swap after coral dip.

So happy to get some more LPS and even an SPS!

IMG_5437 (1).jpg

Used FritzZyme Turbo Start 900 + XPort Biocubes method + AragAlive special grade sand instead of full live rock cycle.

12/5: First fish in!
12/12: Added 3 hermit crabs
12/18: Got ORA ocellaris clown, cleaner shrimp, and frag of zoas.

Very proud of myself today after plugging in pump + Tunze protein skimmer to Kasa WIFI outlet so that I can easily turn off pump+skimmer using Alexa when doing feedings. Am thinking this will also be handy if I'm ever traveling so can do things remotely/using timers.

Next Up: Getting my Tunze ATO set up!

That's a good point, Michael. It'd be convenient if the pumps would go back on after ~15min post-feeding. I think I can set it up that way, will look into it!
Did you ever get this set up on your Alexa routine?

Here's the routine I have set up for feeding
Screenshot_20220919_201956.jpg

I don't have it set up, but a fail safe for forgetting to turn it back on could be to have an alarm sound/announcement/notification sent to your phone if the pump is off for more than x minutes.

Yup, I've set it up in two places:

Daily auto feeding
I use a Kasa Smart Plug where each day the return pump and skimmer turns off, about 5min later my Eheim auto feeder rotates to feed, and then about 20min later the pump and skimmer turns back on. Believe it or not, this worked perfectly over the summer when we were in Ecuador for 5 weeks!

IMG_83EA9F18D576-1.jpeg

Verbally via Alexa
I also have the Kasa linked up to Alexa so that I can verbally say "Alexa, turn off pumps" and "Alexa, turn on pumps". This is especially useful when I'm doing water changes and have my hands full.

Like you, I also wanted to put in a failsafe whereby after, say, 20 minutes if the Kasa plug is off it automatically turns on again. Kasa has the ability to automatically turn off after a set amount of time, but not to turn on. I tried using Shortcuts in iOS but for some reason it was buggy and wasn't really working for me. I'll need to check and see if Alexa can do it instead. Let me know if it works for you.

Yup, I've set it up in two places:

Daily auto feeding
I use a Kasa Smart Plug where each day the return pump and skimmer turns off, about 5min later my Eheim auto feeder rotates to feed, and then about 20min later the pump and skimmer turns back on. Believe it or not, this worked perfectly over the summer when we were in Ecuador for 5 weeks!

View attachment 42031

Verbally via Alexa
I also have the Kasa linked up to Alexa so that I can verbally say "Alexa, turn off pumps" and "Alexa, turn on pumps". This is especially useful when I'm doing water changes and have my hands full.

Like you, I also wanted to put in a failsafe whereby after, say, 20 minutes if the Kasa plug is off it automatically turns on again. Kasa has the ability to automatically turn off after a set amount of time, but not to turn on. I tried using Shortcuts in iOS but for some reason it was buggy and wasn't really working for me. I'll need to check and see if Alexa can do it instead. Let me know if it works for you.
I have a Kasa smart strip and love it.

Back