Our mission

Spinning Wetside on MP40?

Hey guys,

I bought an MP40 through Reef2Reef marketplace that was sold to me as working condition but when I set it up in the tank the entire wet side spins. I’m using the right spacer and I tried the other ones but it doesn’t work. I’m thinking that it’s the magnet on the wetside not holding strongly enough that it causes the entire thing to spin. Has anyone experienced this before or know how I could fix it? I reached out to Ecotech for trouble shooting but they said it probably just needs to be replaced or I could send it in for repair but would need to cover shipping both ways and parts and at that point might as well just purchase a new one.

Did you check to see if the magnet on the wet side has burst yet?
How would I know if it’s burst? Do you mean like if it’s opened? This is how it looks currently

Attachments

• IMG_3515.jpeg
    IMG_3515.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3514.jpeg
    IMG_3514.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 65
Take it apart like this:

Check to see if there are cracks in the magnet like this. Usually caused due to old age or being soaked in too strong of a vinegar / citric acid solution.
IMG_0750.jpeg

This is what it looks like inside… there’s some separation so that means it’s burst right?
Yes definitely burst. Wet side is bad. You should try to work something out with the seller from R2R. If they are unwilling, file a claim. Hopefully you paid via PayPal goods and services.

Word of advice, buy used equipment locally so you can test it out. We have a great community here on BAR no reason to buy online unless it’s uncommon.

Yeah I think that’s a goner. New wet side isn’t that expensive tho compared to a whole new pump
Well lesson learned :/ I should’ve just bought a new pump instead of trying to save a few bucks. I should’ve known better than to try to buy something used online that I couldn’t see first in person

Yes definitely burst. Wet side is bad. You should try to work something out with the seller from R2R. If they are unwilling file a claim. Hopefully you paid via PayPa goods and services.

Word of advice, buy used equipment locally so you can test it out. We have a great community here no reason to buy online.
I already tried the past few days and he says I’m trying to scam him lol. I will try to go the PayPal route.

Yeah I learned that now but I guess on the bright side it could’ve been worse.

I’ll try emailing and see what they say. Even if they could just sell me that part I would be happy
Neptune and Aquatic Collection carry the wet sides locally I believe and you can always test it there to make sure it's working right. Stay away from R2R/Facebook/Craigslist and just see if anyone has what you're looking for here like @SupraSaltyReefer mentioned.

Back