Our mission

Stray Voltage?

Update on this: I replaced my heater. Again. That didn’t seem to solve the issue. Decided to try relocating the transformer for my light, which was mounted directly below my tank. Unscrewed that from the top of the cabinet and moved it as far away from the tank and sump as I could. That seemed to solve the issue... Didn’t realize that induction could be that substantial.

Fun fact: You can actually make salt water move purely with electricity and magnetism, no pump/powerhead needed.
Lorentz force.
Fun experiment in a cup, not so recommended for a fish tank. :)

That said, it seems unlikely it was direct induction into the salt water. Inductive coupling is really low.
My guess would be probes or other wires that were close to the transformer.

You might consider a grounding probe. Cheap, and adds safety.
Not only does it drain stray current, it makes it more likely that the GFCI will trip on a short.
Although it can also hide problems like yours. They really need to make one with a current alarm.

You might want to upgrade to an electronic ballast. More efficient, lights last longer.

Fun fact: You can actually make salt water move purely with electricity and magnetism, no pump/powerhead needed.
Lorentz force.
Fun experiment in a cup, not so recommended for a fish tank. :)

That said, it seems unlikely it was direct induction into the salt water. Inductive coupling is really low.
My guess would be probes or other wires that were close to the transformer.

You might consider a grounding probe. Cheap, and adds safety.
Not only does it drain stray current, it makes it more likely that the GFCI will trip on a short.
Although it can also hide problems like yours. They really need to make one with a current alarm.

You might want to upgrade to an electronic ballast. More efficient, lights last longer.
Agreed, I find it hard to imagin you have such high inductive charge like that.

Turns out my PH probe was cracked and had some water in the tip. I removed it and it seems to have fixed the issue. Also, touching the tip of a broken PH probe is stupid and hurts, a lot.

Does anyone know definitively if I can use any double junction PH probe with the GHL or do I have to get it from them?

Back