Cali Kid Corals

Sump Baffles

Matthew Meyer

Supporting Member
Had the acrylic sump baffles come loose in the glass aquarium (sump) again. I have been using different super glues but nothing has been working. Would JB water weld work better to bond the acrylic to the glass?

Alternative thought, do you even need the baffle?

Silicone with a thick bead on every edge is what I would do, and then let it cure for 2 hours.

Cut a sheet of glass and use that as a baffle. Glass is pretty easy to cut. Glass sticks to Glass way better with just a little silicone

Cut a sheet of glass and use that as a baffle. Glass is pretty easy to cut. Glass sticks to Glass way better with just a little silicone
I think this is the way. I dont know how to get glass and cut it so I don't want to. But I'll do it. Tap plastics was just easier for me i guess.

I put together a diy glass sump with 3 sections for about $40 with a free 40 breeder from Craigslist in the past. I recently gave it to a member on here.

Be sure to measure the inside panes accurately then subtract 3/32”-1/8” (1/16” gap on each side) for the silicone bead to fill and use your desired water level as the height for the glass.

Be careful with acrylic baffles and glass tanks. If you get them too tight to the glass, it can crack the glass when the acrylic expands. That being said, I have had success in the past just putting a big bead of silicone on either side of the acrylic. Should be able to hold. As long as you don't have a drastic water level difference from one side of the baffle to the other, there shouldn't be that much force on the silicone.

Back