High Tide Aquatics

Super old Apex Jr. having issues with FMM modules. Can't update firmware.

kinetic

Supporting Member
I've been running a used Apex Jr., which is probably about 7 years old at this point.

My VDM started doing a slow status blink, but after restarting it, it came back to life. My two other FMM modules both had fast blinking lights, but after unplugging and replugging both, they have solid status lights. Unfortunately, they don't really seem to be working in that my Auto-Topoff doesn't actually turn on, but the optical sensors look good. My other FMM powers a RODI solenoid, which also won't do anything when I toggle it on/off.

I don't know exactly what happened suddenly, but I did have a little water explosion for a brief second, and I wonder if I fried something... but the FMM modules aren't even close to the water explosion. It could be the VDM has an issue and is causing problems down the line.

I tried updating my firmware, which worked on the controller, but it's complaining my FMM modules are OLD. I tried to update the firmware via the onboard software, but it says to wait 10 seconds and never updates.

I'm just going to keep messing with it, but not sure what I can do next if I can't get any further.

Anybody know if there's a better way to update firmware on the FMM?

Maybe I should just replace the VDM module with a new one and see what happens...

Update: I just started disconnecting things to see what actually was making things fail, and ultimately it was one of my DOS units. I stopped dosing anything awhile ago, so I have two just sitting there doing nothing. After disconnecting one, EVERYTHING ELSE STARTED TO WORK. This one DOS was at the end of a chain of aquabuses, not even in the middle, yet it affected random modules down the chain.

I looked and the aquabus cable was pretty corroded. I'm guessing that's the issue. I'll pull the DOS modules out and do some cleaning/testing.

Back