Jestersix

SupraSaltyReefer - ELOS 120XL and then some

I get bored easily so I’ve been working on this side project in the garage. It’s a 60g Advanced Acrylics frag tank 48x24x12” with some extra equipment I’ve been hoarding in the garage. Shoutout to @RandyC since I got a lot of inspiration from his setup.

Met up John from Advanced Acrylics to pick up the tank since he was making a delivery in the Bay Area.
View attachment 50790

I chose the heavy duty Dewalt rack that’s 77x24x72” since it’s much better quality than Husky, Costco and the other brands. I also believe it’ll be less prone to rust since it’s powder coated yellow. Worth the extra money. Also added 3/4” plywood and anti-fatigue mats for some leveling and cushion.
View attachment 50791

Decided to go with a Warriors theme since the rack is yellow so the pvc and fittings needed to match. My go to pvc cement is Oatey Fusion single step pvc clear cement. No need for primer and drys clear.
View attachment 50792

I’m a fan of eurobrace tanks. The ledge is very useful to prevent splashes and comes in handy when fragging.
View attachment 50793

Plumbing completed. I’m using a Red Sea Reefer 350 V3 glass sump. Dual 3/4” ball valves are Cepex and 1” gate valve is Spears. Still deciding if I should add a Reefmat or not, but maybe that’ll be a future upgrade.
View attachment 50794

Transferred some frags over. Since I’m not running an Apex on this tank I wanted to use equipment that’s controllable with an app for monitoring. So I’m using two EcoTech Radion XR30 G5 Blue for lighting, a Vectra S2 for a return pump, an Ink Bird WiFi ITC-306A paired with a BRS 150w heater and a Red Sea Reefwave 25 with ReefBeat.
View attachment 50796

Stole this idea from @RandyC as well. I used the Ecotech hanging kit to hang the RMS track to the plywood on the top shelf and secured it with a wire and clasp.
View attachment 50797

Completed. So far I have a few shrooms, zoas and anemones I’m growing out. Also a great holding tank for fishes lol.
View attachment 50798
I love this setup, super slick and easy! We just tore apart our garage and this has me thinking!

Tank is looking great! Would love to stop by one of these days to check it out. That convict + Zebra combo is stunning, really makes both stand out even more!

How many tangs?

Thanks! How many tangs? I try to avoid this question since I get a lot of criticism for this, but.........I have 12 tangs, 21 total fishes. All fat and healthy. Most of them have been together for 2+ years. Very little aggression. Usually only during feeding time. Everyone knows their pecking order. Daily I feed TDO pellets and 2 sheets of nori. Feed PE frozen mysis and calanus weekly. Flow is pretty high with a Reefwave 45 and MP40.
  1. Zebra Tang
  2. Blueface Calico Tang
  3. Black Tang
  4. Black Tang
  5. Achilles Tang
  6. Gem Tang
  7. Wild Yellow Tang
  8. Biota Yellow Tang
  9. Purple Tang
  10. Blue Black Tang
  11. Yellow Eye Kole Tang
  12. Convict Tang
  13. Skimask Picasso Clownfish female
  14. Skimask Picasso Clownfish male
  15. Target Mandarin female
  16. Target Mandarin male
  17. Cleaner Wrasse
  18. Golden Hawkfish Big
  19. Golden Hawkfish Small
  20. Chromis
  21. Filefish

New Year update:
I finally found time to replace my Tunze Osmolator with the Red Sea ReefATO+ and so far I’m liking it much more since I can monitor it through the ReefBeat app. Build quality is great and pump is much quieter than the older Tunze pump.

Red Sea needs to come out with something similar to a 1Link module so I can plug in my ReefMat 1200, ReefWave 45, ReefDose 4 and ReefATO+ to save on plugs and running so many wires. I do think it’s only a matter of time before they come out with their own controller. Maybe in 2024?!

IMG_6926.jpeg

IMG_6922.jpeg

IMG_6921.jpeg

IMG_6924.jpeg

IMG_6927.jpeg

IMG_6928.png

Last edited:
Hey Tu,
What kind of redundancy does it have to avoid overfilling the tank. The tunze has the optical sensor, float valve, and you can open it up and adjust how long it pumps before it cuts out. Does this one have anything similar?
G

Hey Tu,
What kind of redundancy does it have to avoid overfilling the tank. The tunze has the optical sensor, float valve, and you can open it up and adjust how long it pumps before it cuts out. Does this one have anything similar?
G

Hey Gerry! Great question, Red Sea says, "As an additional safety feature, there is an automatic pump timeout feature that will switch the pump off if it runs for significantly longer than the normal fill time for your system.
The Auto-Fill will automatically switch off if any of the following situations occur:
  • Pump is missing, over-run timeout, running dry (empty reservoir) or blocked.
  • Level/temp sensor is missing.
  • Leak detector detects a leak.
Also, according to BRS, "Smart Programming: Red Sea has incorporated intelligent programming into the ATO Plus to enhance its functionality. The system calculates the average fill time required for your specific reef and automatically shuts off the pump if it exceeds that time. This feature ensures precise control over water levels and prevents potential overflow."

Even the new Tunze Osmolator 3 no longer uses a float switch or controller box and only uses optical and thermal sensors now. I was comparing these two ATO systems and in the end the ability to monitor the ATO with an app was the deciding factor.

Damnit. Now I might need to upgrade. Any idea on the lifespan of the pump and how easy it is to replace? I like being able to monitor it on the App and I already have a reef wave and reef dose. I agree. I wish they would come out with their own controller or something similar because outlets are in short supply.

Hey Gerry! Great question, Red Sea says, "As an additional safety feature, there is an automatic pump timeout feature that will switch the pump off if it runs for significantly longer than the normal fill time for your system.
The Auto-Fill will automatically switch off if any of the following situations occur:
  • Pump is missing, over-run timeout, running dry (empty reservoir) or blocked.
  • Level/temp sensor is missing.
  • Leak detector detects a leak.
Also, according to BRS, "Smart Programming: Red Sea has incorporated intelligent programming into the ATO Plus to enhance its functionality. The system calculates the average fill time required for your specific reef and automatically shuts off the pump if it exceeds that time. This feature ensures precise control over water levels and prevents potential overflow."

Even the new Tunze Osmolator 3 no longer uses a float switch or controller box and only uses optical and thermal sensors now. I was comparing these two ATO systems and in the end the ability to monitor the ATO with an app was the deciding factor.

Great job with the clean looking tubing and wiring. I have bought this too, due to similar rationale, but also due to almost 100% positive user feedback (except pump noise) over the ‘legendary’ older Tunze, and even the recently very much hyped up new Osmo 3. Unfortunately, mine is leaking where the siphon breaker is, but this is 99.9% user error (and the only thing my son did not do :)…).

Damnit. Now I might need to upgrade. Any idea on the lifespan of the pump and how easy it is to replace? I like being able to monitor it on the App and I already have a reef wave and reef dose. I agree. I wish they would come out with their own controller or something similar because outlets are in short supply.
Do it! Not sure of the lifespan of the pump since this was recently released in July 2023. Replace pump is about $40 so not too bad.

Great job with the clean looking tubing and wiring. I have bought this too, due to similar rationale, but also due to almost 100% positive user feedback (except pump noise) over the ‘legendary’ older Tunze, and even the recently very much hyped up new Osmo 3. Unfortunately, mine is leaking where the siphon breaker is, but this is 99.9% user error (and the only thing my son did not do :)…).
Thanks! The siphon breaker is a great feature since my old Tunze would continue to dump water in my sump if I refilled my reservoir too high. Did you install the arrow pointing forward with the flow of the water? I didn’t know this but saw it on a YouTube video, the siphon breaker is designed to leak water back into your reservoir or sump.

Last edited:
Thanks! The siphon breaker is a great feature since my old Tunze would continue to dump water in my sump if I refilled my reservoir too high. Did you install the arrow pointing forward with the flow of the water? I didn’t know this but saw it on a YouTube video, the siphon breaker is designed to leak water back into your reservoir or sump.

Yes. It is facing upwards, away from the pump. I see, so the leak I see is intentional? I am just unsure how this will impact the evaporation measurements and overstates water consumption?

And a siphon breaker? That would allow me to use my full reservoir. Damnit. Haha. How does the siphon break work?
Yes. It is facing upwards, away from the pump. I see, so the leak I see is intentional? I am just unsure how this will impact the evaporation measurements and overstates water consumption?
Siphon break should be installed like this. I assume it calculates based on the tube length and height in the settings? Not sure.
IMG_6966.jpeg

Back