Our mission

Tank Cover / Net Question

I was thinking of making one of those nifty window fly screen, net covers for the top of the tank to prevent my crazy jawfish from leaping out. Currently have acrylic lids, but want something more open. I know I have read a thread somewhere, but forgive me, I don't remember who or where. ??? Would Home Depot be where I start ?

Joyce, I used squiral/bird netting. The squares are a lot larger so it's great for not blocking light or gathering salt creep so it's not the best for really small fish. I welded it to an acrylic frame i made with my heat gun. I have a whole bunch left but I'm no where near the city so I'd have to get it to you at a mtg or something.

It's that standard looking gray aluminum screen. I used it instead of egg crate when I upgraded the lights in my tank. I think I used about 15 layers to start and at about 2-3 layers it was just about full light.

I'm not sure what 1 layer would do to your lighting, how much it would affect the output.

I'm in SF, Laurel Heights, Inner Richmond area.

Levi - I believe that is the stuff I am looking for - I will visit Home Depot to see what they have, I will let you know if I need after the weekend.

badbread, It sounds like the screen you have is the standard stuff for windows ? I am worried about light loss since I am only running T5 s and want to keep it as open as possible.

I have seen what you are asking for sold as pond netting.

As far as making the cover go get a screen frame at HD, use the pond netting instead and bingo. The frames are really easy to cut to size.

here is a link to one a guy from the other forum I go to did

http://www.forums.ncnrs.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=254

Back