Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

Tank Journal : Converting Fresh water to a Saltwater Tank

Guest
Joined
Mar 2, 2015
Messages
4,004
Boils down to what do you need the lights to do.

Or to put it in another way. What do you foresee the tank housing ultimately?

Let’s not go the ‘for now’ route. What do you see yourself going for a year down the road.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2018
Messages
1,320
That's a tough question. To be honest, I'm not sure and I think I'll be changing my mind quite a bit in the future. I guess what I'm looking for is more of a safe bet that would cover the majority of corals. You are right though, I wouldn't want to get a lighting system today and 6 months later say "oh crap", wrong one. If I were to guess where I would be a year from now, it would be a mixed reef with a few SPS & LPS and Zoa colonies. :-)

thanks!
 
Guest
Joined
Sep 28, 2016
Messages
1,510
If you want to be able to cover most things except maybe a full on sps tank, I think 3 A360 over a 4 foot tank would be good. If you go used, you should be well within your budget, and there are lots of them floating around.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Guest
Joined
Mar 2, 2015
Messages
4,004
I would go for a single AP700. You may have to mount it a little higher than you’d like to cover the full 48” but if you are careful with rock placement. It will be fine. And if you decide to expand to include more corals and into more SPS, a 2nd AP700 can be added easily.

You should check out the lps tank at Neptune. 48” tank on 1 AP700.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Guest
Joined
Nov 29, 2015
Messages
5,041
I think either of the two options mentioned would work for you. The ap700 puts out a lot of light and unless your rock scape is right up to the glass on the sides you’ll probably be fine. The 3 360’s will probably give you better coverage but they aren’t as powerful (although 3 will likely be powerful enough for quite a while).
 
Guest
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
2,268
Or be like Gabe and go mitras :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2018
Messages
1,320
Found an interesting article testing PAR reading on the AP700.
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/20...ider&utm_medium=slider&utm_campaign=clickthru


Light Intensity at Depth "snipplet from the link"
Again, the almost infinite number of user selected options make reporting of light intensity at various depths a daunting task. It was decided to report those settings that generated the most, and least, PAR (and as it turned out - PUR as well) at depths of 17", 13", 7.5", and 3". The least amount of PAR (and PUR) were generated at the 'whitest' (least blue) setting while the most was produced at the #2 setting (#1 being bluest.)

The fixture was mounted 6" above the water surface. See Figures 3 through 10."

upload_2018-3-26_9-18-21.png


upload_2018-3-26_9-19-19.png


upload_2018-3-26_9-19-52.png


upload_2018-3-26_9-20-38.png
 
Guest
Joined
Nov 29, 2015
Messages
5,041
That’s interesting that there was more par at 17” than at 13”.

Good article by Dana Riddle.
 
Last edited:
Guest
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
792
That’s interesting that there was more par at 17” than at 13”.
The colors have different values in differeing pics. At 17”, yellow is 200-250, at 13”, blue is 200-300, at 7.5”, yellow is 400-500, etc. confusing
 
Guest
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
792
One thing to note, this light has a spread of 30ish inches across until you go past 13” deep. Interesting
 
Guest
Joined
May 14, 2017
Messages
1,725
The colors have different values in differeing pics. At 17”, yellow is 200-250, at 13”, blue is 200-300, at 7.5”, yellow is 400-500, etc. confusing
What a crappy comparison. Not only are the colors different, they dont even use the same par ranges so that you could actually compare
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2018
Messages
1,320
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I don't think the color represent the color of light but a representation of the PAR reading. Ex. yellow meaning 400-500 par reading and not the yellow light color?

What I gather from the readings. If I used one AP 700 on my tank, 6 "inches above the water, I would need to keep the corals somewhere in the middle. Corals that need more Par level most in the center, but referencing the depth chart according to my rock scape.

Looked at the PAR readings again, and yeah..I'm totally confused now. 13" depth and 17" depth should be switched or something. :)
 
Last edited:
Guest
Joined
Nov 29, 2015
Messages
5,041
What a crappy comparison. Not only are the colors different, they dont even use the same par ranges so that you could actually compare

I didn’t notice that. Each slide had a different range.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2018
Messages
1,320
Got a chance to do another water test.

API Test Kit
Salinity: 1.027
PH: 8.0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 5

New Test (Salifert)
P04 :0 (I have phosguard in the reactor)
Calcium: 450
Magnesium: 1500 ( test vial water stayed purple, never changed to blue or gray)

Since this is my first test using salifert, I could be doing it wrong :-). Also my Salinity is 1.027 and temp is 78-79F.

Assay of Ocean Potion at 1.026 S.G. at 77°F *
  • Ca 415 - 445 ppm.
  • Mg 1340 - 1410 ppm.
  • K 390 - 410 ppm.
  • SO4 2700 ppm.
  • Sr 9 - 9.25 ppm.
  • B 4.85 ppm.
  • pH 8.3 - 8.4
  • Alkalinity 8.35 - 8.75
 
Guest
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
792
Nice! Some tips:
If I remember correctly, algae and bacteria uptake carbon, nitrate, and phosphate in a specific ratio, so you don’t want to have lots of nitrate and 0 phos, or 0 nitrate and lots of phos. 5 nitrate and 0 phos will be fine. If I’m wrong please correct me.

Magnesium keeps calcium from precipitating. If you ever dose mag, raise it slowly. I heard it acts like a muscle relaxant for the fish, so it can harm the fish if it raises too quick. I think the rule is you want mag to be 3x calcium. If you have 450 cal, you probably want around 1400 mag, more is fine. I believe inverts lock up and really slow down above 1600 mag. I’ve also heard hair algae dies off with high mag, 1700+. Never tried it, just heard.
 
Guest
Joined
Nov 29, 2015
Messages
5,041
I’ve always been more concerned with po4 than no3. My old tank would run with nitrates in the 40s all the time and things seemed pretty happy. I had a time where phosphates were in the 0.3 range though and things were dying off.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2018
Messages
1,320
Skims mbr 157 was delivered today. Didn't realize how big this thing was. :)

There are soo many options for nutrient export but I finally settled on an Algae Reactor. Can't wait to see it in action.

2655591c98b36d229a0d705a656c455c.jpg


Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2018
Messages
1,320
It seems to fit, but was hoping there was room to tilt it so I can remove the caddy but guess not. :-)

c922e9108b62d24752c236517661f955.jpg


Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
Top