Reef nutrition

The Coldest You Can Run a Reef?

I was told that Blue Spot Jawfish are collected out of Mexico where the waters are cool. The same person implied that their lifespans are decreased in warmer temperatures. I want to provide a healthy environment for all of my tank's inhabitants, so I'd like to know what temperature my tank should be at.

Coral wise, I'm planning to get a bunch of SPS, one or two LPS, some softies, and maybe 5 colonies of zoas. I have blue leg hermits and four different types of snails in the tank and I'm going to get a cleaner shrimp. As far as fish go, I only have the Blue Spot Jawfish right now, but I'm going to get a pair of picasso clowns in a few months.

I currently have the tank at 76°F, but I want my Blue Spot Jawfish to live as long as possible, so I was wondering how low I could get the temperature without causing problems. I assume water temperature would alter coral growth, but I still want healthy and fast coral growth.

What's your opinion on where my temperature should be?

I only keep LPS, softies, and fish. My temp runs 74 - 76 degrees and I've had good growth and health.

Did you ask how much shorter their life span is and what kind of data he/she has on it? I'd be interested because that is a fish I'd like to keep at one point...

Gonzo said:
I only keep LPS, softies, and fish. My temp runs 74 - 76 degrees and I've had good growth and health.

Did you ask how much shorter their life span is and what kind of data he/she has on it? I'd be interested because that is a fish I'd like to keep at one point...

I didn't specifically ask that, but the guy said he runs his tank at 72°F and he's had his Blue Spot Jawfish for two years so far. He said he's heard from a couple of others who has ran their tank at around 78°F that their Blue Spot Jaws only lasted a year, so It's a pretty dramatic difference IMO. If somebody can confirm that SPS will do fine at 74°F then I'll drop the temperature down.

Can't confirm they'll do fine, but I know I had some montis in a ~73* tank that were holding color. IMO, higher temp in the tank leads to faster growth. In some cases, low enough temps might just stall growth rather than killing. To me, asking for cold temps and fast coral growth just don't usually go hand in hand.

I'm thinking of making the temperature 75F. The temperature in my tank doesn't change at all from day to night. Just guesstimates, but it would by 75F in this winter/spring weather, and 76F on an average summer day. As I said, I want to find the right balance for everything in the tank, so I don't want to go too low.

There has been alot of debate why the bluejaw checked out early and one issue is temp. You can keep your tank at 75 but you can go lower to 73 in the winter and 75 in the summer. I keep mine 71-73 winter and 73-75 in the winter.

To emphasize above, low temp=slow growth. You cannot have your cake and eat it too on this one. Other fish and inverts are fine with the low temp

I'll be the guy who says it- you should always do your research *before* you buy a coral, fish, invert, etc. on their needs before adding it to the tank to ensure you can provide a healthy environment for all of your inhabitants. I feel it's the 1 thing we owe the creatures we've displaced from their natural home. I'd love to get a Catalina goby as they're one of the coolest small gobies around, but they require relatively cold temps for long term success and my reef is on the warmer side.

With that said I'm not sure how cold a tank can run and what temp blue-spot jawfish are comfortable in. Good luck with him, they have a unique look and housing approach.

Where they come from swings between like 60f and 80f+ depending on the time of year. There is also no coral where they live. Well palythoas, epizoanthids, zoanthids and gorgonians are there, but no stony coral really. There are a few stonies in the SOC like porites and fungids, but they dont live where BSP do.

Speaking of SPS, I have had mistake keeping the low temp at 69, 70 in winter time, SPS alive and look OK but literally no growth. Since I set low temp to 75, I have seen improved growth in winter (they still don't grow as fast as others but growth is not determined by temp only), I am debating if I should raise to 78.

CookieJar said:
I'll be the guy who says it- you should always do your research *before* you buy a coral, fish, invert, etc. on their needs before adding it to the tank to ensure you can provide a healthy environment for all of your inhabitants. I feel it's the 1 thing we owe the creatures we've displaced from their natural home. I'd love to get a Catalina goby as they're one of the coolest small gobies around, but they require relatively cold temps for long term success and my reef is on the warmer side.

With that said I'm not sure how cold a tank can run and what temp blue-spot jawfish are comfortable in. Good luck with him, they have a unique look and housing approach.

I actually knew about their colder water temperatures before I bought my Blue Spot Jawfish. I'm going to try and balance the temperature between a long life for the jawfish and fast, healthy coral growth. As of now I have the temperature set to 74 at night and it rises to 75 in the day. I'll adjust the heater to keep the water the same temperature when warm weather comes. :)

Matt read my post regarding season temps of the Sea of Cortez. FWIW most BSJ are captured in the upper SOC where it is hotter. A lot of the issues with them IME is due to the chain of custody and people having too much activity around the tank. BSJ do not like areas that are super active (people walking by a lot).

GreshamH said:
Matt read my post regarding season temps of the Sea of Cortez. FWIW most BSJ are captured in the upper SOC where it is hotter. A lot of the issues with them IME is due to the chain of custody and people having too much activity around the tank. BSJ do not like areas that are super active (people walking by a lot).

Do you know the temperature range of the upper part or SOC? I read online that Blue Spot Jaws live deeper than the usual reef fish so the water temperature might be cooler still.

The tanks are in my room so there isn't much activity. The only activity is me staring at my computer (5ft away from the tank) for 4+ hours every day (6+ hours on weekends). For 6 hours in the morning while I'm at school, the only activity is my mom coming in to get laundry for a minute or two... and my dog might venture into my room to lick my furniture.

Back