High Tide Aquatics

Thesassyindian's 13.5 gallon m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ ̶p̶i̶t̶ nano mixed reef

Hello folks,
I got this miyagi tort frag at the frag swap, and it’s had these bubbles and algae on it since before I added it to my tank.

Any idea what this is? Is it safe to keep the frag in my tank?

572AAB8D-8DFC-4FD1-812E-0CE0481F28F7.jpeg

Edit: @Coral reefer, looking back at my journal, looks like the frag came from you. Any idea what this is, and how to treat it? Does the mother colony also have this?

Last edited:
Looks like bubble algae to me. If that is the case, you can either let your algae eaters like emerald crabs eat it, or you can look into hydrogen peroxide dipping. There are a few places to look up how, but this is a good, succinct direction set

Hydrogen Peroxide 9%​

This obviously isn't a backed or branded dip but something that some people use across the hobby. Please if you choose to use this be extra careful and wear appropriate safety gear as it is bleach after all. The main use we have for this dip is hair algae removal and it works brilliantly on soft corals and in particular zoas. The dose we use is 10ml of 9% peroxide per litre of water, leave the coral for 5-10 minutes, and the algae should start vigorously bubbling. Once the dip is finished, remove the coral and replace in the aquarium. If it is a small aquarium it may be worth rinsing the coral first. This dip can also be used on lps but i would use a lower dose. The algae will not immediately fall off but will turn grey over a day or so and either be eaten by cuc or fall off within a couple of days. It is recommended that you watch the coral to see there is no adverse reaction and if there is then remove the coral immediately.

Pros

• Works wonders on algae and some pests
  • Cheaper than some branded dips
  • Saves frags and zoas being smothered and killed from algae
Cons

• Little Margin for error! overdoses can be catastrophic on dipped corals.
  • Harsh on coral, they can take a while to open back up when returned to the aquarium.
  • Gloves and ideally goggles should be worn
  • Harder to source and they chemist may not think its a viable reason to purchase peroxide......

Tips

if you are not sure of the dose to use then you can work your way up gradually, adding maybe 5ml every 30 seconds or so. Once the Algae starts to bubble leave it a few more minutes without adding more and remove.

Bare in mind there are different concentrations of peroxide available so if it is different use the above method to work out a dosage.

Once again if you are not sure or confident doing this then please don't.

Last edited:
Looks like bubble algae to me. If that is the case, you can either let your algae eaters like emerald crabs eat it, or you can look into hydrogen peroxide dipping. There are a few places to look up how, but this is a good, succinct direction set

Hydrogen Peroxide 9%​

This obviously isn't a backed or branded dip but something that some people use across the hobby. Please if you choose to use this be extra careful and wear appropriate safety gear as it is bleach after all. The main use we have for this dip is hair algae removal and it works brilliantly on soft corals and in particular zoas. The dose we use is 10ml of 9% peroxide per litre of water, leave the coral for 5-10 minutes, and the algae should start vigorously bubbling. Once the dip is finished, remove the coral and replace in the aquarium. If it is a small aquarium it may be worth rinsing the coral first. This dip can also be used on lps but i would use a lower dose. The algae will not immediately fall off but will turn grey over a day or so and either be eaten by cuc or fall off within a couple of days. It is recommended that you watch the coral to see there is no adverse reaction and if there is then remove the coral immediately.

Pros

• Works wonders on algae and some pests
  • Cheaper than some branded dips
  • Saves frags and zoas being smothered and killed from algae
Cons

• Little Margin for error! overdoses can be catastrophic on dipped corals.
  • Harsh on coral, they can take a while to open back up when returned to the aquarium.
  • Gloves and ideally goggles should be worn
  • Harder to source and they chemist may not think its a viable reason to purchase peroxide......

Tips

if you are not sure of the dose to use then you can work your way up gradually, adding maybe 5ml every 30 seconds or so. Once the Algae starts to bubble leave it a few more minutes without adding more and remove.

Bare in mind there are different concentrations of peroxide available so if it is different use the above method to work out a dosage.

Once again if you are not sure or confident doing this then please don't.

Oh damn! I didn’t think you could dip SPS in H2O2. Also, this doesn’t look like bubble algae. It’s more slimy like dinos.

Oh damn! I didn’t think you could dip SPS in H2O2. Also, this doesn’t look like bubble algae. It’s more slimy like dinos.
Personally, I haven't and wouldn't mess with dips other than for educational purposes, or if I knew a colony were infested. I would try swishing it in some salt water in a bowl and see if it comes off that way. I prefer mechanical removal over chemical 10 out of 10 times.

Above I did add the BRS video on the portion where they talk about dipping in hydrogen peroxide as well as a r2r thread where people talk about mixed results.

Embarking on a journey to cobble up an RODI system from the remains of two old ones:

Back