Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bashsea other..

• Ice Cap

• Total voters

wazzupmac

Supporting Member
I have the bones to a build that will really get going in mid to late June. We're moving to Piedmont and I'll have time and a place to put a larger tank than 2 nano's I have running now (1 in office at work and 1 in the garage).

I have a 100 gallon tank and a stand that's built like a tank but is furniture quality. The tanks dimensions (sump area) are roughly 44"x19"x29" (l*w*h). I currently have a Skimz UP34 sump that can be used but I'd rather decide that is the sump going forward or use this time to get a new sump. Everyone says go as big as you can - so that is an option. I'm not a DIY kind of guy so I will buy a sump.

Any feedback would be appreciated -- don't worry about the cost portion but provide guidance on features, etc.

I like the look of the Trigger sumps and the Platinum line is especially intriguing but I can't figure out how the ATO works well with the filter roller. I don't want one solution to create another problem. Someone on here recently mentioned their Eshopps sump and Reef Octopus looks nice but I don't need a built in ATO reservoir.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Congrats on winning the lottery. Something to consider is filter sock vs filter roller mat? Some sump has the built in filter roller mat. or no filter at all. i'm currently running two skimmers without filter...just cause I can. LOL

Last edited:
No sure what kind of tank but the investment means I can go hardcore sps if I wanted. The RSR250 will be lps and softies
You can go Hardcore SPS with a bucket to hold a Skimmer, heater and return pump. If you want to design for the future, get the biggest sump with the least amount of stuff in it so you can Add/Subtract on the way. It is much easier to add things vs cut them out, so the fancy sumps with all the bells and whistles become a hinderance to change in the future. There are plenty of add on sump products to service your needs later. You really just need a Baffle to separate the water level of the return pump from the skimmer. Refugium Yes/No is a decision you probably should make, but you can add them later to with a drop in aquarium too.

IMG_2504.jpg

Yes, I am being a hypocrite on my sump :) I only have a20x20 space and know what I want. Looking forward to repairing your skimmer and putting it in here. This skimmer is a "tad" oversized for my 0 Bioload right now.

And I travel plenty for work - pretty much unlimited PD funds so I go to 2-3 conferences annually and we love to travel international 1-2X annually for vacation. So more automation is actually good - I have a full Apex, Neptune DOS, Neptune Trident, tunze ATO, and gonna build a RO station.

And I travel plenty for work - pretty much unlimited PD funds so I go to 2-3 conferences annually and we live to travel international 1-2X annually for vacation. So more automation is actually good - I have a full Apex, Neptune DOS, Neptune Trident, tunze ATO, and gonna build a RO station.
Think you need a suitcase tank then.

I'm using a Trigger Platinum 39. It's being used on a 80g frag tank with no sand. Love the fleece roller, its been installed for 1 year now and I'm still in my first fleece roller it came with. I have no issues with the fleece roller it's self nor do I have issues with the ato. Detritus does make its way into the other chambers after the fleece roller that's after 2months, but I clean my sump regularly with a small pump.
20211012_233545.jpg

I didn't see any use of the adjustable baffle it comes with so I'm not using it.

With the water level I have it set ad seen in the picture it holds 20 gallons of water.

If they had a bigger sump I would have went for it.

20211012_233831.jpg

What I have , and recommend is an old beater 40 gallon (3 foot long) acrylic tank and circular saw the top few inches off. Done.

Filter roller, skimmer, fuge, etc whatever you want.

Look under the tanks at Neptune - just a big trough

I had a sapphire sump on my frag tank. It was fine but not as awesome as I expected.

If I was doing it all over again I’d get a 2 chamber sump. 1) for stuff 2) return pump.

I never run a fuge so I don’t need the separation and having a big open space allows a bunch of options on skimmer sizes, reactors etc

I had a sapphire sump on my frag tank. It was fine but not as awesome as I expected.

If I was doing it all over again I’d get a 2 chamber sump. 1) for stuff 2) return pump.

I never run a fuge so I don’t need the separation and having a big open space allows a bunch of options on skimmer sizes, reactors etc
Looks like that is more or less possible on the platinum if baffle is removed?!

Looks like that is more or less possible on the platinum if baffle is removed?!
Looks like it might be from the pics but I didn’t dig in to verify. I can’t comment much since I didn’t buy that sump but I do recall reading less than awesome things about their roller mat. Not saying “it’s not good” since I’ve never experienced it first hand but make sure to check into owners’ hand on impressions.

With 1 vote for the Trigger Platinum, I went with the majority. It's where I was headed anyways.

Ended up the the Trigger Platinum 39 Sump -- should be arriving via UPS next Wednesday!

It's all coming together...

Aww.. too late to give you my suggestion. If going tor Trigger, I prefer the tideline series.
But I would have gone Bashsea or Synergy or Geo's before Trigger. Neptune Aquatics has a local sump guy and he makes fantastic sumps. I have 1 in my 150 right now!

With 1 vote for the Trigger Platinum, I went with the majority. It's where I was headed anyways.

Ended up the the Trigger Platinum 39 Sump -- should be arriving via UPS next Wednesday!

It's all coming together...
Also forgot to mention the probe holder that's built into the sump and the dosing holder aswell.
Oh and the adjustable brace is a +

Back