got ethical husbandry?

Thoughts on ceramic media?

I think the aluminum and crumbly issues were specific to MarinePure.

Fired ceramic of hard consistency like all the other brands doesn’t leach stuff as far as I know. And is cheaper. But probably less porous.

i have used and currently do use Marine Pure and Brightwells Xport Brick. My Marine Pure block is about 6 years old and zero crumbling. I actually pulled it from the sump this past Saturday to clean the detritus buildup that was in there. Rinsed it and put it back in; even after handling it after these year no crumbling at all. The Xport Bricks, the same way, they are about half as thick as the Marine Pure and feel a little harder.

My ATI ICP results that i got back yesterday came back below.
Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 00.13.43.png

-rob

I've heard that Marine pure fixed the leeching aluminum issue but cannot factually confirm this statement unfortunately.

I've used the maxspect nano-blocks exclusively based on recommendations from fellow respected reefers and haven't seen any issue in my ICP results.

I think you're specifically looking for block shape versus loose media. For loose media, you can;t beat porous rock like Seachem Matrix. Its basically overprice pumice rock, but its still much cheaper and last forever compare to ceramic media.

I think you're specifically looking for block shape versus loose media. For loose media, you can;t beat porous rock like Seachem Matrix. Its basically overprice pumice rock, but its still much cheaper and last forever compare to ceramic media.
I was originally thinking about getting the thick marine pure block for the nitrate reducing capabilities, but I think a fuge will handle that well. I’ll probably still get a good amount of live rock rubble for extra surface area, as well as frag plugs

I was originally thinking about getting the thick marine pure block for the nitrate reducing capabilities, but I think a fuge will handle that well. I’ll probably still get a good amount of live rock rubble for extra surface area, as well as frag plugs
Hmm I got a tone of large pumice rocks in the backyard lol!..I keep a decent amount of live rubble in those saltwater safe black mesh bags with plastic zippers. Good for pods and super easy to take out when cleaning

Why not just use rocks and sand? or like a cup of Reborn media?
Is reborn just crushed coral? I havent heard of that stuff before. I could do some rock, but I want to keep the sump fairly clear to make cleaning out detritus a breeze. Dont think I’m going to run filter socks so I’m going to probably have a good amount of detritus

Hmm I got a tone of large pumice rocks in the backyard lol!..I keep a decent amount of live rubble in those saltwater safe black mesh bags with plastic zippers. Good for pods and super easy to take out when cleaning
I really like that idea, keeps all of the rubble together

Is reborn just crushed coral? I havent heard of that stuff before. I could do some rock, but I want to keep the sump fairly clear to make cleaning out detritus a breeze. Dont think I’m going to run filter socks so I’m going to probably have a good amount of detritus
it is old crushed coral yes, maybe the pieces are a little bigger. Reborn specifically is TLF Calcium RX media; reefers have just taken to using it for substrate and such since won't move nearly as much as sand when you crank up the flow and corals can grow on it. Comes in clean and ready to go. When i couldn't get this during the supply chain issue days, i just went to Neptunes and bought the media in bulk and spent some extra time cleaning it.

Pods like to be able to swim in and hide in the rubble rocks. If you have them in bags they probably can’t as much, depending on the size of the holes.

Pods like to be able to swim in and hide in the rubble rocks. If you have them in bags they probably can’t as much, depending on the size of the holes.
This is a good point, also rocks and rubble will grow sponge - which IMO is part of having a successful tank.

Who needs to clean the sump anyway?

Yes good point !! plus sediment can build up inside becoming trapped so bare minimum 1/4 inch mesh or larger is more suitable and alot easier to shake rattle in roll! Pond stores seem to carry the larger mesh

This is a good point, also rocks and rubble will grow sponge - which IMO is part of having a successful tank.

Who needs to clean the sump anyway?
Lol keeps the wife from grabbing the bucket shop vac and going to town on the sump herself! Man cave sump it appears clean but maybe not so

Back