High Tide Aquatics

To quarantine fish, or not to quarantine... That is the question..

Do you quarantine new fish?

• Total voters

Meshmez

Supporting Member
Alright, I have had good luck in the past with the 14 day tank transfer method for ruling out Ich and observing fish. But the last 5 fish I have tried with, I have lost. None showed signs of disease before dying. I believe ammonia was not a factor/issue.

So I'm at a point where I'm considering not doing quarantine, or doing like a 5 day observation for obvious signs of issues.

What are everyone else's methods (or non methods) and what has given you the most success?

14 days copper, transfer to sterile then deworming and possibly antibiotics

Don’t mess around.

You’d rather those five fish die in your display and take the rest of the tank with them?

14 days copper, transfer to sterile then deworming and possibly antibiotics

Don’t mess around.

You’d rather those five fish die in your display and take the rest of the tank with them?
My point is I'm pretty sure they died from quarantine, not disease. :confused:

Using 10 or 20g tanks (depending on size and quantity of fish): 12d TTM, 2nd and 4th transfer with Prazipro followed by 7d observation. If they are sand burying wrasses, then I also add a fresh container of sand with every transfer.

On occasion, I do lose fish during QT. So, it is not 100% successful.

Using 10 or 20g tanks (depending on size and quantity of fish): 12d TTM, 2nd and 4th transfer with Prazipro followed by 7d observation. If they are sand burying wrasses, then I also add a fresh container of sand with every transfer.

On occasion, I do lose fish during QT. So, it is not 100% successful.
How big of a container of sand do you use? I have used 5x6 inch Tupperware and the wrasses never go near it.

Do you just use an airstone? I have wondered if I'm under oxygenating...

I QT every fish. I was tired of treating sick fish in the DT. 14 days in 2.0+ copper and I feed food soaked in GC (General Cure), Selcon and Focus for internal problems. Antibiotics are used during copper if needed. Then its 2 rounds of GC followed by 14 days observation. I have lost fish in QT but not in the DT since I have been following this process. I use the Seachem ammonia badge to monitor water quality but water is usually changed every 4-6 days.

I don’t QT which has definitely caused issues in the past but I learned from those mistakes and I feel with careful shopping you can minimize the risk but not eliminate it. I accept the risk I take since I feel a QT is another layer of stress on top of the already heavy load. If I had the room for a full blown 75 gallon QT I would probably go for it but doing it inside of sub sized tanks does more harm than good at times. I like to buy my fish from AC as they run copper and date the arrival of the fish. If I get a fish from there that’s been in copper for a week+ there’s some piece of mind.

How big of a container of sand do you use? I have used 5x6 inch Tupperware and the wrasses never go near it.

Do you just use an airstone? I have wondered if I'm under oxygenating...
I just use an air stone. Yeah I use a similar sized container. Here's a pic of a lepoard wrasse waking up while it was in TTM.
1602994620455.jpeg

I don’t QT which has definitely caused issues in the past but I learned from those mistakes and I feel with careful shopping you can minimize the risk but not eliminate it. I accept the risk I take since I feel a QT is another layer of stress on top of the already heavy load. If I had the room for a full blown 75 gallon QT I would probably go for it but doing it inside of sub sized tanks does more harm than good at times. I like to buy my fish from AC as they run copper and date the arrival of the fish. If I get a fish from there that’s been in copper for a week+ there’s some piece of mind.
Are you sure about the copper? All the time? Both systems?

SO they aren't using all those uv lights then?
I’m guessing they do since they are there. Copper an UV is a pretty decent punch for a lot of things. Then again replacing those bulbs every year would certainly get costly for a business so I’m unsure of that status. I’ll ask them next time I’m in there.

Maybe I’m wrong here and it’s just cupramine where you don’t run uv with it, but I thought cooper and uv is a no no? Definitely the case with cupramine tho.
I’m not really a copper guy so I could be mistaken since cupramine is slightly different than just copper I believe.

Back