Kessil

Vertex brand going under?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Just noticed BRS with a "liquidation sale" of 40% off Vertex brand stuff, skimmers, sumps, everything. I have both the Alpha 250 and Omega 130 skimmer, both are decently built pieces of equipment always seemed they wanted to aim for almost Royal Exclusiv level of quality (in fact early versions were made by them) but come in at more a midrange pricing scheme. Although I will say seeing their Somatic sumps at various trade shows those look like absolute hot garbage where they seem cheap on the surface but because of their "modular" nature it ends up costing as much if not more than a standard sump.

Either way, I noticed a lot of Vertex skimmers on sale used recently, I wonder if people caught wind of what was happening.

I run an omega 180i and love the beast. Yea their somatic line certainly left a lot of reefers bummed but that’s the corporate way, brand yourself and pray people don’t notice when you rely on that “branding” instead of the quality that got you to where you are now.

Well to be fair the Somatic series was the brand, I don't think I ever heard it referred to as the "Vertex Somatic" or "Aquastik(?) Somatic" almost like they didn't want this with their name on it.

Didn’t know they were “separate” as the color scheme certainly said vertex to me. But sad to see a company go but even sadder that their terrible customer service will now be non existent ha I do need to consider another skimmer that has support though as if this one craps out I’m sure that’s the end of its life with no company around

Eh, the Omega uses Sicce pumps I think, at least mine does. So finding a replacement pump shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately I have one of the older Alphas on the main tank with the Red Dragon pump, I think I have a spare Askoll somewhere that may fit, but I dunno.

The Askol pumps the Alpha line uses should still be available but re-branded; they were also on close out few months back. They were not exactly skimmer dedicated but all they need is an impeller swap.
Maybe the German “value” line doesn’t have as much demand vs the ample competition in the US market.

Back