High Tide Aquatics

Vista

patchin

Supporting Member
Theresa doesn't like Vista. I hear there is a way to "downgrade" to XP on our new Dell. Does anyone know how, and, if so, can it be switched back and forth(Dell says reverting back to XP voids the warrantee)? Our Yahoo browser is very different with Vista. ATT doesn't have a complete browser, yet, for Vista. TIA

You should be able to do dual boot. It's a little complicate though. I haven't install it myself because I don't like Vista but my friend has both on his system. I don't know why install XP would void the warranty. Are you sure about that?

Sure you can downgrade, format the hard drive and install XP :D However if you don't have WinXP on a CD then you can't "Downgrade" Vista in the sense that you make it work like XP, although I think you can make it look like XP a little, similar to making XP have the "Classic Feel", I have not made the jump to Vista yet though, and probably won't until I absolutely have to (and then hope by that time MS has a new less-sucky OS out)

Dell should not void your warranty with an operating system switch, however they might void the software support part, but the hardware should still be valid. I'm sure you could setup a dual boot system if you wanted both XP & Vista on there, however I'm not familiar with it enough to guide you.

To dual boot, you'll need either two hard drives or two different partitions. You can't install both OS on the same partition and if you have one hard drive, you'll have to do some work. It'll entail deleting the partition and creating two new partitions. Then you'll need to install the OS in separate partition. This is most likely the issue since I'm not sure if Dell provided you the full Vista OS instead of a recovery CD/DVD.

It'll be easier to just buy a new HD and then install XP on that so that you don't have to mess out w/the current partition/OS.

Well it's not that hard to fix. You can ask someone on here help you out :) .. Where do you live? If you leave the laptop with me in SJ for couple days, I can help you load XP on it. You will need the Dell restore CD incase you want/need to go back to Vista.

if the Yahoo browser is your only gripe, maybe we can fix it there and it'd be easier. What exactly is the Yahoo browser? Is it a web browser? I'm not too hip with the PC's these days =/

I believe the yahoo browser is a strip down version of the IE. At least that's what I got when I had ATT DSL - got rid of that right away.

As far as your prob... Is it just the browser that your significant other don't like? If so, there are other web browser that has less gui and/or less functions. Or if you can deal with it for a while, Microsoft is releasing a new version of Windows OS - release date 2010 (per Microsoft). ;D I would explore other web browser's (free downloads) before going to the extreme of formatting the HD / getting a new drive.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3657.msg42495#msg42495 date=1210081764]
Firefox baby!
[/quote]

QFMFT!!!

I run firefox on the Mac I am on now (work bought it for me) and have parallels running XP on the other monitor:D

Eeeks VISTA? That bit of software will go got he way of the Dodo shortly ;) XP for me on my new desktop :)

No it's great at bogging your system down as well as hogging RAM :lol:

Yeah Vista looks pretty and all but meh... I don't want to just throw gigs of ram at it to appease it's appetite! And while DX10 seems sexy on paper, nothing out there to make me give two poops about

Back