Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

Water changes - how large and how often?

Past President
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
1,690
Tumbleweed said:
eldiablosrt8 said:
how long is the "garbage can" life of salt once mixed????
If it is in a sealed container and constantly mixed you are good for a couple of months. The key is a seal container to keep in evaporation and to constantly keep it moving.

Lately I've been running a bigger external pump for mixing duties, then a smaller internal pump for circulation solely to reduce electrical consumption.
 
Guest
Joined
Apr 5, 2010
Messages
518
houser said:
Tumbleweed said:
eldiablosrt8 said:
how long is the "garbage can" life of salt once mixed????
If it is in a sealed container and constantly mixed you are good for a couple of months. The key is a seal container to keep in evaporation and to constantly keep it moving.

Lately I've been running a bigger external pump for mixing duties, then a smaller internal pump for circulation solely to reduce electrical consumption.

I let my water sit still for 5 days between water changes, no heating either, starting the heater and mixing pump 24hours prior to the water change to let pH and DO equalize. Whats it matter if the water is not being mixed when not in use, seems like a waste of electricity?

as to the OP, I change 3 gallons weekly and 4 gallons once a month when I clean the skimmer, on a 17g tank.
 
Guest
Joined
Apr 1, 2010
Messages
2,752
houser said:
Tumbleweed said:
eldiablosrt8 said:
how long is the "garbage can" life of salt once mixed????
If it is in a sealed container and constantly mixed you are good for a couple of months. The key is a seal container to keep in evaporation and to constantly keep it moving.

Lately I've been running a bigger external pump for mixing duties, then a smaller internal pump for circulation solely to reduce electrical consumption.


i have a spare mag 7 i was gonna use for constant mixing since im moving to concord i wanna start making my own watter
 
Guest
Joined
Aug 13, 2008
Messages
2,283
I have a crappy skimmer so I do 20% every week or two. I also run a lot of carbon and phosphate remover. :)
 
Guest
Joined
Sep 29, 2008
Messages
2,239
My skimmer-less 20g reef tank gets 10% water change once a week.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ant_l/5096921697/
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 17, 2010
Messages
1,406
25% weekly on a 100 gal total vol tank. But I also have nitrate issues.......

-Gregory
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
810
We change 30g for 120g tank plus 30g sump every 6 to 7 days.

Mike
 
Guest
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
496
I have been doing 10G water change on monthly base for my 75G tank. With the time and money I spent on the hobby my wife is on the edge to force me quitting, I don't even dare to ask her if I can setup RO & mixing stations etc. I buy nature sea water and RO water for top-off, it is really expensive to do mass WC.

I am testing with my tank the theory that if you can achieve optimized balance of nutrient import and export, mass WC is not required, but so far the result is not satisfying.
 
Guest
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
1,629
14 percent weekly(5gal for 40gal tank), but at every five days now as the NO3- is high while I transition to fugeless.
 
Top