Reef nutrition

Waterbox problem

@nnero66466

View attachment 59728View attachment 59729

Above is a link to a media tower from a company called intank.

It's of the highest quality and i run these things in all my all in ones. The pictures show examples of various medias you can run on different levels. At the most you change those once a month or every other month.

*The only except is the top filter pad which you want to change every 3 days.*

Marineland Bonded Filter Pad, Cut To Fit Any aquarium Filter, Whites & Tans, 312 sq. in. https://a.co/d/gJ5qVu7
View attachment 59730

This is effortless, to change just pull it out toss. It comes in a large sheet you cut it to fit in the top section as shown in the image above.

As far as other filteration media also in the picture there is several options, if this is something you would consider I can give more specific details on those options.

This would replace filter socks, over all cheaper over time as well. After initial investment.

If you don't already have one this is vital.
Below is whats called a ato (auto top off)
For a saltwater aquarium it's one of the most important things needed. It has a smaller container that stores extra rodi water. There is a optical sensor that measures water level in main tankm once it drops Below the sensor the pump adds water from the storage container to the main tank.

It ensures water level and tank salinity always stays at the same level.

View attachment 59731View attachment 59732

Below is one i bought. Not saying it's better than others, it's a decent mid quality one that I haven’t had any issues with.

MagTool Optical Sensor AUTO TOP Off(ATO) with Upgraded QST Tech and Smart ETFT Algorithm for Both Fresh and Reef Tanks(MT-LITE)
https://a.co/d/3g443om
I love how detailed you are with your responses lol, 110% help every time I see you post :)

This is why lots of people skip the mechanical filtration. Laziness prevents lots of people (myself included) from changing a part every 3 days. Plus vacations are a variable where people are away for more than 3 days.

The rest of the stuff in the tower I like though. Bioballs or crushed coral for bio media, and a carbon bag for the chemical filtration are my go to.

I hardly ever clean my filter, so maybe I should just add more bio media instead.

I used the sponge because it came with the HOB - should I just pile bio balls in there, or is there an Aquaclear bio brick, etc?

Thank you guys for the insights
I don't recommend the crappy plastic balls if thats what u mean, but heck crushed coral rubble, all serves same purpose. I use to run two oversized hob aquaclears on my old fish only systems around 2008. I would loose the sponge if it’s not regularly changed it would hurt more than it helps.

This is why lots of people skip the mechanical filtration. Laziness prevents lots of people (myself included) from changing a part every 3 days. Plus vacations are a variable where people are away for more than 3 days.

The rest of the stuff in the tower I like though. Bioballs or crushed coral for bio media, and a carbon bag for the chemical filtration are my go to.
Agreed vacation definitely pull put the pad lol. Takes me 3 seconds to swap, lmao 10 if i try not to drip water on the floor. Yet if you won't change it, I agree with you it's better not to use the filter pads/ floss/ sponges at all

Depends what you are using the sponge for? Mechanical or biological… But there is no reason to have any biological filtration in your HOB when you have live rocks and sand or rocks and bare bottom in my opinion other then bag of carbon/gfo etc. Look at how many sumps out there run with no biological rocks/sand etc cause its most all up top in the DT. Now if you run zero substrate and no rocks just fish id have media in the filtration but not sponges plenty of other bio spheres/cubes/ crushed coral out there. Alota people use the sponges that come with HOB or canisters but I just toss them out. Honestly more environmentally better to rinse and use the same sponge every few days but with all the food especially all the frozen food trapped inside the sponge no way just toss a pad cut with scissors to fit HOB. Or just let all the critters eat the leftovers in the sump yummy . I do have a bit of rock and rubble in the sump but only used in case need to set up a tank on the fly and cover for critters and cucs plus Im a rock hound lol my house and yard are full of rocks/fossils I collect on trips especially petrified wood lol
Grab a small roll of floss and cut to fit a pad for your HOB .. leave out the spong.. Then check that floss after 5-7 days.. Depending how dirty it is will give u an idea how often you need to clean the sponge sooner or later since sponges hide alota crap! Half a dozen one or another different ways to achieve similar results…

I don't recommend the crappy plastic balls if thats what u mean, but heck crushed coral rubble, all serves same purpose. I use to run two oversized hob aquaclears on my old fish only systems around 2008. I would loose the sponge if it’s not regularly changed it would hurt more than it helps.
I mean the balls made of super porous rock or whatever material they use

Here is the picture i hope explain my setup.

I 3D print a filter pad holder, with an overflow. Hope the picture is self explanatory. The overflow ensure the water level in the filter pad compartment will only rise to a max level, regardless if the pad is 100% clog. ATO will take care of the water level in the middle chamber. If you don;t have an overflow, filter pad clog will drop the water in the middle chamber, and ATO will kick in to bring it back up. I almost had water fill up to the top of the aquarium and almost spill.

Attachments

• filter.png
    filter.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 25
Also, mechanical filtration just isn't really needed in a reef tank. The fine particles settle in the bottom of the substrate. The rule breaker here might be a bare bottom tank, but detritus would still mostly accumulate in the sump/filter chamber.
For those with AIO tank, cleaning the back chamber is painful at least in my setup. I can see the reason to bypass any mechanical filtration if you have a sump

Wow!!! Thank you so much for alternative to using filter socks. I did take out filter socks last evening added R/o water to pump chamber and so far so good. Will keep an eye on it. Also thank you so much to everyone who responded to me. I’m learning alot and have a ways to go but I’m thankful to all of you. Would I put media basket in both filter chambers? And what about the sponges in the chambers next to them?

@nnero66466

View attachment 59728View attachment 59729

Above is a link to a media tower from a company called intank.

It's of the highest quality and i run these things in all my all in ones. The pictures show examples of various medias you can run on different levels. At the most you change those once a month or every other month.

Marineland Bonded Filter Pad, Cut To Fit Any aquarium Filter, Whites & Tans, 312 sq. in. https://a.co/d/gJ5qVu7
View attachment 59730

This is effortless, to change just pull it out toss. It comes in a large sheet you cut it to fit in the top section as shown in the image above. [I CUT UP the whole sheet to size so it's not something i have to do each time.]

As far as other filteration media also in the picture there is several options, if this is something you would consider I can give more specific details on those options.

This would replace filter socks, over all cheaper over time as well. After initial investment.

If you don't already have one this is vital.
Below is whats called a ato (auto top off)
For a saltwater aquarium it's one of the most important things needed. It has a smaller container that stores extra rodi water. There is a optical sensor that measures water level in main tankm once it drops Below the sensor the pump adds water from the storage container to the main tank.

It ensures water level and tank salinity always stays at the same level.

View attachment 59731View attachment 59732

Below is one i bought. Not saying it's better than others, it's a decent mid quality one that I haven’t had any issues with.

MagTool Optical Sensor AUTO TOP Off(ATO) with Upgraded QST Tech and Smart ETFT Algorithm for Both Fresh and Reef Tanks(MT-LITE)
https://a.co/d/3g443om
Wow. Thank you very much for helping. Gonna get on this! So far removing socks and adding water to back chamber is working. Will run for a week and see how it goes.

Wow!!! Thank you so much for alternative to using filter socks. I did take out filter socks last evening added R/o water to pump chamber and so far so good. Will keep an eye on it. Also thank you so much to everyone who responded to me. I’m learning alot and have a ways to go but I’m thankful to all of you. Would I put media basket in both filter chambers? And what about the sponges in the chambers next to them?
You only need one... it goes in the chamber that the water overflows from the display into the rear section. With the vertical slots.

Reach out if you end up getting it. And i could suggest what to put in the lower sections under the filter pad.

Seems you figured out the restricted flow issue. Thats good.

You only need one... it goes in the chamber that the water overflows from the display into the rear section. With the vertical slots.

Reach out if you end up getting it. And i could suggest what to put in the lower sections under the filter pad.

Seems you figured out the restricted flow issue. Thats good.
Ok already visited the web site.

I 3D print a filter pad holder, with an overflow. Hope the picture is self explanatory. The overflow ensure the water level in the filter pad compartment will only rise to a max level, regardless if the pad is 100% clog. ATO will take care of the water level in the middle chamber. If you don;t have an overflow, filter pad clog will drop the water in the middle chamber, and ATO will kick in to bring it back up. I almost had water fill up to the top of the aquarium and almost spill.
The sketch helped. Thank you and will look into setting one up.

So here’s an update on water level. Had to add water today because level had dropped down to half of what it was 1 1/2 days ago. Want to add ATO and have priced reservoir and they are expensive. Any alternatives that aren’t over $100. I found a small trash can ( 5 gallon). Would that work? I’m going to get media basket so MichaelB could you let me know how your is set up?

Where does the overflow drain in to?

Where does the overflow drain in to?
Doesn't need to be a fancy ato container lol. 5 gallon bucket from home depot with lid, cut hole small enough for cord and hose to fit through. Probably $7 bucks with tax. Anything that can hold a few gallons of water works fyi. Long as it's covered. Even old small aquarium.

In short don't over think it just something that holds water. Anything works now. While you look for something that may look better long term. Than just swap containers later

Back