Jestersix

Wavemakers

Are the Vortech MP-10s worth it? or should i just go the cheaper route and get a jebao?
Nothing's wrong with Jebaos; though I will say I'm a fan of the Vortechs and think they're worth the (albeit expensive) cost. One of the benefits of MP-10/40/60s is that, when/if you upgrade to a bigger system, they tend to hold their resale value pretty well.

If you're looking for something in between the two, the AI Nero 3 is also a good bet. Slim form factor, bluetooth controls, preset flow patterns analogous to the MP-10 (though a lot of people swear by the Reef Crest setting on Vortechs), and half the price of a NIB MP-10 ($180 vs $350). If you're just looking to save money, both can readily be found secondhand for decent prices (including on the B/S/T forums here).

EDIT: I will also say that, while I've had a couple issues (one my fault, one not) with Ecotech products, their customer support has been nothing short of incredible.

MP-10s are quieter, take up less tank space, don't have the cord in the tank, and have a variety of flow controls you can do (which are probably gimmicks). Jebaos are a lot cheaper, most can angle the flow in specific ways, move a lot of water, and have some flow control.

Which is better depends on how much you care about the aesthetics and how you want to direct the flow. Jebaos work great in my experience. My main display I have MPs. I use jebao returns in all my tanks. I have a couple jebao wavemakers I'm currently not using but toss into my saltwater mixer.

I run all jebaos. 2022 purple gen with wifi + lcd controller are great. I recently upgraded to the 2023 blue wifi + lcd gen and theyre even better. I would avoid the pre 2022 purple generations.

I've used MP10s exclusively since they came out about 13 years ago and upgraded the drivers as they came along. They're pricey, but repairable, and I'm still using my original dry side on the right of the tank. However I've had the most success just having them alternate flow on the "gyre" setting rather than using other modes (less noise and creates the washing machine type flow I like). Previously I used Tunze pumps, but the new Neros like @IOnceWasLegend mentioned seem really popular and have the slimmest form factor.

Note that the 3D printed urchin pump guards are really effective at keeping loose soft corals and other critters from getting chopped up in the Vortechs.

Jebao are also quiet. Actually most DC pumps/wavemakers are almost the same quiet.
In my experience, even the sine wave Jebao powerheads are significantly louder than the MPs. Particularly when ran in any other mode than constant. I had one running for awhile in wave mode, and I can still hear in my head the electric whine of it spinning up and down. Not an awful noise, but significantly louder than my MP10/MP40s.

My Jebao return pumps running a constant speed on the other hand are virtually silent. At higher speeds they have a bit of a noise, but not really noticeable unless I have my head in the sump area with the doors open.

Also with the Amazon return policies being so good, it's really easy to buy a Jebao, test it out, and if you don't like it just return it. Or keep it because they're so cheap and you can use it for something else.

I was looking at the Nero 3. I like how its small and compact. What size tank do you have? And do you recommend getting more then one for a 40gallon tank?
Ultimately, one could work. There are a lot of factors to consider, like how strong is the flow out of your return pump, which corals are you going to be keeping, etc. With Acans/Mushrooms/Leathers etc I'd be happy with just the Nero 3. With SPS or any other med/high flow corals you'd want to consider getting 2 of them like Eric said or a Nero 5. Personally I'd much rather have 2 Nero 3's than 1 mp10 as two pumps allows for more versatility and alternating/random flow.

I wouldn't hesitate just trying one and seeing if it seems like enough or not. And to answer your question I have mine on a 15 gallon but only run at 25-35% for a LPS/Euphyllia dominated tank.

I received the Jebao sow-8 in the mail and tried it out. Too powerful for my IM40. Had it at the lowest setting and moved too much water. Im going to try a sow-4.

Back