Jestersix

Welcome to Gran Playa Del Mar

Blaise006

Supporting Member
Welcome all to Gran Playa Del Mar!!

Soon to be the home of a new five star reef attraction. Weighing close to 3,000 lbs and holding some marvelous sea critters that we have all come to love.

While the tank has been ordered, I am in planning stages for this new wonderful addition to the San Jose landscape. I now look to this wonderful community for advice at this critical stage.

The tank is a Red Sea 900 xl at about 79 inches wide. A layout of the room the tank (red square) could go in is roughly 89 inches wide corner to corner, but call it 87 inches due to window sills.

I don’t think there is anyway to move the tank into the room show below. Do you agree? I know the diagram says 6’10, but it’s incorrect. While I’m sure we could walk it in I am not sure we could get it to slide into that back wall. This would also require reinforcing the floor.

Based on my calcs the aquarium on a diagonal axis is ~85 inches if Add some leeway to the measurements based on the reefer. So it’s possible the tank could be placed on the stand at an angle and slid into place on the stand in the back of the room.

If this doesn’t work then the new tank goes into the garage on a cement slab.

21AB1164-6B2C-48BB-8068-CDE35A17D257.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t think there is anyway to move the tank into the room show below. Do you agree? I know the diagram says 6’10, but it’s incorrect. While I’m sure we could walk it in I am not sure we could get it to slide into that back wall. This would also require reinforcing the floor. If this doesn’t work then the new tank goes into the garage on a cement slab.
I think you could likely get creative with an appliance dolly to get it in the room. As far as the support, if there is an edge foundation, you can put almost anything on top of that wall.

I think you could likely get creative with an appliance dolly to get it in the room. As far as the support, if there is an edge foundation, you can put almost anything on top of that wall.
I was checking the prices on some appliance dollys. I started to get nervous I would chip the glass or weaken the seams given how heavy and wide the tank is. Any suggestions?

Building rock structures? I’m pretty slow. I could probably help a little depending on what you are trying to do
I’m pretty easy going, just looking to have some fun building aquascapes. So if anyone wants to join, the more the merrier.

The cabinet looks like it’s going to take a full day to out together based on the build videos I’m watching on YouTube. There must be 2,000 pieces.

I’m pretty easy going, just looking to have some fun building aquascapes. So if anyone wants to join, the more the merrier.

The cabinet looks like it’s going to take a full day to out together based on the build videos I’m watching on YouTube. There must be 2,000 pieces.
Yeah the cabinets take awhile.

Current stocking list:

2 yellow tangs
2 hippo tangs
1 Achilles tang
1 bristle tooth tang
2 clowns
3 lyretail anthias (maybe up it to 9?)
1 Mandarin
1 Mel. Wrasse
1 magnificent fox face
1 bar goby
1 yellow watchmen goby

Wishlist
Naso tang

Have to get rid of:
1 powder brown tang

Thoughts? What would you add/remove?

Current stocking list:

2 yellow tangs
2 hippo tangs
1 Achilles tang
1 bristle tooth tang
2 clowns
3 lyretail anthias (maybe up it to 9?)
1 Mandarin
1 Mel. Wrasse
1 magnificent fox face
1 bar goby
1 yellow watchmen goby

Wishlist
Naso tang

Have to get rid of:
1 powder brown tang

Thoughts? What would you add/remove?
Only one hippo. I’ve learned the hard way. It was brutal. Was ok for years until it wasn’t.
Def add more anthias.

Only one hippo. I’ve learned the hard way. It was brutal. Was ok for years until it wasn’t.
Def add more anthias.
Also I would say only 1 yellow for the same reasons. In general the rule of 1 tang per body shape seems to be a good rule of thumb. The Naso gets huge, so have a plan for when they are too big for your system. The Naso's I just saw in Maui were easily 2 feet long. The yellow tangs were 10" dinner plates too.

I would get the 9 anthias and one of each tang. I love seeing them swim so actively. And I had 2 of them turn male in my tank, it was weird seeing a fish that I knew I didn't buy like that.

I like blenny's too, consider lawnmower blennies for algae control, and a fish that can cameflouge somewhat into the rockscape. I also like my Midas Blenny for a rock laying swimmer.

Last edited:
What about a scissor lift table if you can find one for rent? I'd imagine you can lay the tank upright on it, move it parallel with the stand, lift to same height, so you'd just need to push it forward instead of tilting and pivoting the tank.

61WqCZWHGUL._SL1000_.jpg

Back