Kessil

Whats Going On Everyone?

r0ck0 said:
GreshamH said:
WHAT? Inch per gallon? You know that rule is utterly bogus, right?

Old truths die hard

WHAT? You mean old MYTH
s die hard... There is no truth in what you said... inch per gallon rule is wrong on so many levels.

Suggesting 55g sumpless 10% water change weekly for the first year. Invest in lighting like Reefbright strips. Long, thin tank will make MH difficult. Pick up used HOB skimmer for a little extra help on the water, if needed even.

New tank, sump, stand, skimmer, after you have been at it a year or two.

yardartist said:
Suggesting 55g sumpless 10% water change weekly for the first year. Invest in lighting like Reefbright strips. Long, thin tank will make MH difficult. Pick up used HOB skimmer for a little extra help on the water, if needed even.

New tank, sump, stand, skimmer, after you have been at it a year or two.

Thats the exact same setup my friend has. It has worked out really well, also he is taking it slow and not over stocking. 55g tank, eshopps HOB skimmer, heater, a couple of koralia pumps, still working on the lights. Its a nice setup and very easy to maintain.

idk what to do lol.... I started seeing a lot of DIY stuff.... I am a VERY BIG DIYer. I know i should buy a sump pump and skimmer, but i have a ton of great quality pumps. Also, I have a ton of 1W LED's, for lighting.

I think i am getting a lil carried away. I am just WAY too excited!

tuberider said:
20g with a CPR skimmer a couple of powerheads, rock and you're in business, no need for a sump...

But he's a DIY-er :D Already talking about LEDs! Might as well take the plunge and make your first set up the set up :) Don't fear the 'carried away' - Embrace it lol

tuberider said:
20g with a CPR skimmer a couple of powerheads, rock and you're in business, no need for a sump...
I'd take this slight variation instead
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/09/04/cpr-aquafuge2-ps-aeroforce-treatment/

TheGerm said:
idk what to do lol.... I started seeing a lot of DIY stuff.... I am a VERY BIG DIYer. I know i should buy a sump pump and skimmer, but i have a ton of great quality pumps. Also, I have a ton of 1W LED's, for lighting.

I think i am getting a lil carried away. I am just WAY too excited!

Cool, a DIY'er getting totally carried away. Sounds very familiar.
If you are really into DIY, here is a thought:
1) Buy a cheap used complete system. Say 30G or so.
This is really something to play around with, get experience, and decide what you really want.
Plus a great way to test your DIY equipment on as you build.
2) Meanwhile, plan and build a REAL system.
Given time, you can build pretty much everything. Tank/Sump/Stand/Skimmer/Lights/Dosers/Reactors/Microcontroller/etc.
Build as big as you have the space/budget if you want.

Side note: Using small 1W LED's huh. Well ..... You should get nice even coverage. :)

Thanks for the extra info... I will start building soon!

@rygh: your side note... small 1W LED's... do you suggest using 3W? All the fixtures I have seen on the net be it DIY or manufactured are using 1W, case in point Gomer's post ^

I had a thought of searching CL for a cheap practice tank, I might do that idk.... Will post tank build once started tho.

Thanks Everyone!

3W LEDs aren't 3 watts per say. They are just easily driven to 3 watts consumption. You can easily underdrive and dim them to milliwatts if you want :)

Regarding LEDs:
Yes, please re-read. The most common usage is a 3W LED, run at 700 mA, so really run about 2.4 Watts.
Interestingly, those 3W LEDs are rated to 1000 mA, with a Vf of 3.5 or so there, so really about 3.5W max.
But to make it more fun, the measurements in the data sheets are done at 350 mA, where it is most efficient.
Marketing... :|
Note that common-practice is changing with the newer XP-G LEDs, they are rated to 1500 mA, so often run at 1050 mA, so about 3.6 Watts.

Running LEDs at max current decreases efficiency, longevity, and can affect color a bit, so under-driving is a good practice.

You can use any power LED you want of course. 1/2W to 100W. Whatever. But there are big trade-offs.
Using 1W will work. You just need more. How many more will depend on lumens/watt, so it is likely more than 3X!
The smaller ones are usually less efficient.
If you use 20W on the other hand, you need less, but now you end up with coverage and spot issues, and/or complex optics,
plus thermal issues.
In general, 3W - 5W is a good sweet spot, which is why most are done that way.

Then there is the question of using optics or not, and in my mind, the most important, trickiest, and often ignored : COLOR.

Welcome to BAR. With your prior fresh water experience, you have the staying power to hang in there through the new tank cycling............I'd aim you at a 75-100 gal tank if it's in your budget and you have room. I'd do it with a standard sump/fuge. I had Tru Vu make a custom one for me that includes a fresh water reservoir for my auto top off. Makes room for a serious skimmer down there too. I'd go rimless and opt for starfire glass unless an Elos in in your budget. They also use the very low iron glass that is MUCH more clear than standard aquarium glass. An inexpensive controller like the Neptune Apex is very helpful for timing and monitoring lights and dosing pumps. Yeah, you'll probably want to have a couple dosing pumps for CA and ALK supplementation. Programable circulation pumps like the Ecotech Vortech MP-40w's make a huge difference in long term success.

My guess is that you'll take to the salt hobby like a duck to water and quickly use up real estate. May as well consider a tank and lighting set up that will allow a nice mixed reef of LPS and SPS coral. You can start there or end up there.......your choice. Bigger is better. ;)

Okay, well i just ordered 50 (25W/25B) LEDs from my supplier. I have found everything online. Thanks for telling me to go back and read cuz it was 3W. lol... mybad

I am going with a 20gal setup and will be getting substrate, rock, and ocean water this weekend. I will cycle that with a 2 T5 HO lighting and build be LED fixture within that time frame.

I will start a tank thread soon... and will post a link here. If you guys/gals have any more suggestions plz feel free to add... i am not buying any fish or corals until everything is cycled and ready.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

Back