got ethical husbandry?

WTB: Neptune Solenoid Valve (1/4”) [More interesting title: ATO siphon issue]

why not just create a siphon break? Or mount a 1/2” pvc pipe or tube above the sump and have the output of the ATO go into that?

TLDR: I'm going to reinstall the float valve that came with the ATO. Fault was mine for adjusting ATO system without realizing water level was now higher than the sump.

Thanks for the suggestion Randy.

I'm doing something similar. My refugium sits on top of the sump (a converted, drilled, RSR ATO tank) and it is plumbed using 1/2" hose; the return from the refugium is gravity fed back into the sump's return pump chamber.

Into fuge's return I have a 1/4" line that is connected to a pump that sits in the ATO vat. (Neptune PMUP.)

Here's the problem: my vat's water level (when completely filled) is higher than my refugium return line. I fill the vat only once a month or so. I made some adjustments yesterday (I raised the water level of the vat) and I forgot what problem this could create if the water level got higher than what it has been set to. Doh!

Salinity dropped a bit -- probably 2 gallons of RODI into a 65 gal system. Glad I caught it -- score for Neptune Apex's altering me; even though the salinity reading my Neptune probe is incorrect (like most), it's consistent.

I'm going to reinstall the float valve that came with the ATO. Fault was mine for adjusting ATO system without realizing water level was higher than the sump.

Thanks again.

TLDR: I'm going to reinstall the float valve that came with the ATO. Fault was mine for adjusting ATO system without realizing water level was now higher than the sump.

Thanks for the suggestion Randy.

I'm doing something similar. My refugium sits on top of the sump (a converted, drilled, RSR ATO tank) and it is plumbed using 1/2" hose; the return from the refugium is gravity fed back into the sump's return pump chamber.

Into fuge's return I have a 1/4" line that is connected to a pump that sits in the ATO vat. (Neptune PMUP.)

Here's the problem: my vat's water level (when completely filled) is higher than my refugium return line. I fill the vat only once a month or so. I made some adjustments yesterday (I raised the water level of the vat) and I forgot what problem this could create if the water level got higher than what it has been set to. Doh!

Salinity dropped a bit -- probably 2 gallons of RODI into a 65 gal system. Glad I caught it -- score for Neptune Apex's altering me; even though the salinity reading my Neptune probe is incorrect (like most), it's consistent.

I'm going to reinstall the float valve that came with the ATO. Fault was mine for adjusting ATO system without realizing water level was higher than the sump.

Thanks again.

Float valve will stop the flow of water, but it won’t stop the siphon. While it lessens the chances of water dumping into sump, if a snail or algae or the valve gets stuck for another reason, you will have the same problem occur.

The ATK (I’m assuming that’s what you got) ships with a siphon break valve (push connect connector with a hole drilled in it), so you should already have one.

Float valve will stop the flow of water, but it won’t stop the siphon. While it lessens the chances of water dumping into sump, if a snail or algae or the valve gets stuck for another reason, you will have the same problem occur.

The ATK (I’m assuming that’s what you got) ships with a siphon break valve (push connect connector with a hole drilled in it), so you should already have one.

I'll check for the break valve too (and the instructions). Suspecting it's still in the ziplock bag it came in.

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 8.04.01 PM.png

Back