Reef nutrition

Yet another cube, small cube thing in progress.

Corals are in the holding cube; still need to arrange the rock in the big cube; I will remove some rock for sure but need to find a nice flat piece of rock.

20181130_162925_Film1.jpg

Yeah - puddles of water can be very scary!!

I had a big puddle in the garage recently.
Turned out to be the hot water heater leaking. Nothing to do with aquarium.
Although that was no cheap fix either...

Yeah - puddles of water can be very scary!!
Especially considering it's a Marineland Deep Dimension tank, a number of stories online about seams blowing out on them. Then again if you go by what you hear online you'd think Red Sea tanks will always show up with broken glass somewhere :D

I had a big puddle in the garage recently.
Turned out to be the hot water heater leaking. Nothing to do with aquarium.
Although that was no cheap fix either...
Happened to me over 15-20 years ago too, little river of water going through the garage towards the drain. Turns out the life span on water heaters isn't infinite :D They were a bit cheaper back then, that's why whenever there's something wrong with this one I try to find a fix rather than a replacement, and I have been lucky. But to the beginning of the story this is a water heater that's 15-20 years old too... so I am once again waiting for that river of water through the garage.

I had
Especially considering it's a Marineland Deep Dimension tank, a number of stories online about seams blowing out on them. Then again if you go by what you hear online you'd think Red Sea tanks will always show up with broken glass somewhere :D

Happened to me over 15-20 years ago too, little river of water going through the garage towards the drain. Turns out the life span on water heaters isn't infinite :D They were a bit cheaper back then, that's why whenever there's something wrong with this one I try to find a fix rather than a replacement, and I have been lucky. But to the beginning of the story this is a water heater that's 15-20 years old too... so I am once again waiting for that river of water through the garage.
a flood a year or so ago. The old people installed the old water heater without proper insulation between copper and other metal. Caused a small drip, caused rust on the bottom, caused a blow out, caused a flood. Water was running over night as fast as it could run. Replaced it myself, still was like $1000 for heater and some parts.

I got a bit lazy today; was supposed to mix some water and do a water change but got sidetracked and forgot.
Did accomplish something; finally set up the dosser. Drilled and tapped the cap of the containers to use push-connect fittings.

20181223_180826_Film1.jpg

20181223_180820_Film1.jpg

Seems the new year brought for some of us reef keepers, a scary surprise or two.
An anemone decided to wander into the unknown; not a powerhead, rather the intake of the closed loop.
Saw few chunks of tentacles floating in the water and the anemone was nowhere to be found until I flashed a light behind the rocks and there it was. The CL has two intakes had it been only one, that baby would have been made a smoothie. Carefully dislodged whatever remained of the anemone and placed it in a bucket, small pump and heater along with a bag of carbon. It was severed really bad so I had to cut it in two. Today the anemone looks much better but have to check if indeed is a mandated clone or part of it just died.
Had some acros RTN on me so today I put myself to mix 50g of SW for a large water change; 45g for the main tank and 5g for the small cube.
Turned pumps off except the powerheads; when done with the water change, pumps back online, the closed loop shoots what I think it was the “partial” anemone...
Running carbon and Purigen in mesh bags to be on the safe side; noticed one acan frag detaching from the skeleton so I moved it to the small cube where the flow is lower and I can keep better track of its health.
Also managed to knock the feeder into the water so to the rescue; remove batteries, dispose of the wet food, rinse the unit in freshwater and now is drying next to the home heater.

Anemone is recovering nicely, already bubbling the tentacles.
I did manage to make a bigger mess than usual in the basement but is always a mess so you wouldn’t notice.

Yeah, that’s my reasoning for the sudden change in health of the corals.
Skimmer working hard to remove organics and have a foam block to trap some bigger things before they go up again.

And my personal advice... don't put anemones in a SPS tank EVER. I warn people against it who pick some up from me all the time, everyone thinks they'll have the one that doesn't wander at all :D

What became of the anemone(s)?

I like reading your threads, always amazed at your resourcefulness.

Anemone has recovered nicely; an odd thing may have happened while in the ICU container.
After having both “halves” isolated in a bucket with a heater, small pump and carbon, I placed them in a small plastic container with several holes drilled and held high on the tank with couple magnets. I noticed that it has fused (if I may call it this way) together and healed. Anemone has found a spot far away from any danger and hope the lesson was learned.

Finally picked up the CO2 tank and next step is to set the CaRx, simple Korallin unit and will add a second chamber to it; already have a peristaltic pump to feed it.
While I complete the build of the regulator, I’ve attached a simple JBJ to the tank and cleaned the check valve on the CaRx as it was stuck. As usual, missing little things here and there, have to add some glycerin to the bubble counter, have some (somewhere) but asked my sister and she has some to share.

Back