Cali Kid Corals

Mike's Last Build

Ah so I'm that old guy finishing the Bay to Breakers at the very end of the day and most of the race workers already packed up and left and only a few are left just to make sure I'm still alive?

Ok my bubble trap contraption I made to put into the sump works a little better than I anticipated.

GO4mysb.jpg

Ignore the blurriness, that is mostly because the acrylic is quite beat up so the focus is probably trying to get on there. But there's two chambers, the 1" and the 1.5" drain, the 1" is the main one with the full siphon, the bulkhead also doesn't have a nut on it it's just kind of resting on top of the acrylic so it's by no means a complete seal, air can escape. The 1.5" has a gasket and a nut on it, so it's quite secure and we see the effects of that at. And if you aren't quite seeing things, look at where the water line in the tank is. Air is being trapped in here and forming quite a big air pocket, the other thing it's doing is that it is allowing the water to fall, under water, into the water which in itself is creating more bubbles. Normally that pipe end is actually under the water a few inches so water isn't "splashing" in.

Think I'll try to loosen the nut a bit so it's not quite an air tight gap to see if that helps. Otherwise it might start behaving like a protein skimmer.

Yeah, while an extra protein skimmer would be fun, it would mean more things to clean.

Is that the siphon line? I am surprised there is air in it.
If not, and you make the whole thing air tight, it will act like a siphon.

Siphon line is the smaller one, not the one with the air pocket, and while it looks like air is being pulled through the siphon line it's the bubbles from the 2nd line going over there.

The 1.5" line is pretty much open so no way a siphon starts (although with some mods I'm going to see if I can't make it act like a siphon if the water level gets too high)

Well we'll see about that.

Did a few test pieces earlier, and going by youtube videos of Emarco 400 I not quite sold on the stuff. First it seems the stuff you buy as "Emarco-400" is definitely sifted as everything was a fine powder, the stuff Mike gave has chunks in it, I did knock them down as much as possible but it's definitely a thicker blend, better aggregate? Plus not sure about the ratio of water/fortifier stuff, videos show them using it straight out of the bottle, I wonder if it's not already watered down in that product, or if the fortifier I have isn't the proper one? But either way I tried to get as close to play-doh consistency as I could, and an hour later it seemed solid but did not take much force to break it apart where as youtube videos showed "20 minutes later" and the thing was able to lift a lot of weight. So batch 2 (currently being done) is me waiting a lot longer, which IMO isn't as ideal because these rocks have been in the tank for weeks now, so I don't want to kill off whatever bacteria colonies that I put on them. Of the 2 samples for batch 2, one is simply going to stay dry (well as dry as it can outside) overnight, the other after a couple hours I'm going to drop it in a tank of saltwater just to see how it behaves over night. See if either of those work.

And if that doesn't work out? Old school, just stack the damn things, and maneuver in such a way that my vision comes out... through very distorted glasses. Either way, I've done the stack method in the past so I don't see why not again if things don't work out.

You should not have chunks. Probably exposed to moisture, do not use it.

Warning: You need to mix it exactly right, and it sets fast. Work in tiny batches.
If you do it right, it will be great.
If not, expect no end of hassles.
I will never use it again!
Yes, likely user error. Some parts worked great, but some basically fell apart after a few years in the tank.

Yeah I have a feeling I didn't do it right... so I think we're going with plan B of stacking, just no gravity defying structures but in reality who cares, it's the corals which are supposed to grow off sideways right? :D

I’m free tonight and gonna be working on the tank if you wanna try it. I’ve used a spray bottle to keep wet rocks in working on from drying out too much before.
I also have a small tub of nyos that some people seem to think is easier to work with and definitely dries in a few minutes from what I hear.

Thanks for the offer Mike, but I just went to work with rocks... and I gotta say I'm happy the stuff didn't work out as expected simply because having the ability to see it in the tank and get a feel for moving stuff around if you don't feel like it works is great. Plus being able to remove stuff you aren't sold on is a good selling point as well as we shall see below!

jofGGQx.jpg

So here we go, went from a big ass pile of rocks to literally 15 rocks in the whole tank. I think I kicked up some of that silt that settled when I tossed in the sand, no worries. Light over it is some cheapy LED strip light (think Marineland lights... but the knock off version) I mostly needed some light to see what I was doing, but it really helps make the silt pop :D

What I wanted with the rocks is one really big structure that's the "fish hotel" (basically place for them to hide) and a rather open swim area with a couple bommies. While I'm not quite sold on everything yet the overall feel is nice, with two pumps on the tank in alternating corners there's definitely a current that's going around, there's plenty of space along all walls so a hand can get in there or a hose to siphon crap (literally and figuratively). Even though the tank has a 4' x 3' area I really ran out of space quickly, I remember my last one that was this size (a few inches shorter) I opted more for small slender rock structures with some connecting archways, not as much fish hiding places bit it did have a more open feel. This has a tad crowded feel, and this is mostly due to that big structure... and the fact the rocks were all over a foot long.

y8gNAiG.jpg

So here is the main structure, aka fish hotel, I'm not quite sold on the rock in the very front corner nor the one in the middle. I pulled the one in the middle and I did like the open look a bit better, but I put it back because I really feel like it adds more fish sanctuary space. One upside to it is that if you look at the tank from a different side it gives you a different vastly different view, but again no cemented rocks means I can change my mind at a whim. I did want to go with a double level cave structure but these rocks were so big they literally went to the top of the tank, what I see here though is a top structure that's not quite half way up the tank, that is made for an acropora forest... which is another reason I'm not loving that middle and front corner rocks, while it works great for having corals on not quite sure I want to see through a forest of corals, two levels of acropora on the other hand... so I'm rolling with an idea of maybe putting a smaller rock in that front corner, and a not so beefy rock to bridge across. But definitely going to reevaluate this when the water clears up and I can see it without the glare.

B65CR91.jpg

Here's the back side of the main hotel, and on the left is that one big rock that I wasn't super keen on, and from this angle I really don't like it. Granted I'm going to have a black out mat (?) to put on this corner of the glass, one that is removable in case I need to see what's there but still... yeah. I think the main justification for using that rock was "LOOK HOW EPIC IT IS!!!!!" (it's big but not THAT big)

VSNPfJ2.jpg

Here's the other viewing side of the tank, ignore the vortech it's there as water movement while the tank is cycling, I'll move it to one of the back sides when all is said and done. These are ones that I was loving when I finished, not so much now that I see them. They're very basic, little swim through, looks a bit... eh... doesn't really provide a cave to hide in at all. My idea was to have the front corner of the tank be simply an open area with maybe a single rock that I could put corals on (isolation), but again the shape of the rock got me and I was like "OOH YEAH!" ... so this one might end up being a redo. I think I'll keep the back corner one, maybe modify it to be more fish hiding friendly (in case one gets bullied out of the fish hotel.

Overall I'm fairly pleased with this, again lots of space around the perimeter of the tank, and I'm liking the idea of one of those Gyres in the back corner, it'll be hidden by the rock structure and allow a good current to whip around the reef. But either way, next thing is to make sure we're through our cycle, get the tank up to reef temp, and move the fish over. Then I can work on the 40G breeder.

Ok did some moving around very shortly after posting, I think I'm much happier with what I did with the fish hotel. Did some rearranging of the other two structures, didn't quite get the change I wanted, although I think I know how to fix it to the way I want, but that will come later. Today my back is letting me know it didn't appreciate the work yesterday, so today may be a rest day... :D

Oh and the water did clear up, so yay!

Here we go with some pics

zAGFRP7.jpg

Much less cloudy, there's still the fine stuff on the inside of the glass I dunno like static clinging or something. But either way like this a lot better, the fish hotel is a lot less imposing as a huge rocky structure from a distance (up close it wasn't super horrible). Still not sold on the left side though.

HBhmtDR.jpg

At an angle that will be the "as I walk into the room view... I like it!

s8hHIbD.jpg

Side view looks a little better ... less "factory made" with the "fake" looking arches I had before still has some swim through areas (for future drafted smaller fish, no way my tangs fit in there). Just not sold on the two structures though, I'm leaning towards a single structure just not as big as the first, this adds a little more places to hide, but looking at this picture I can easily see a monti cap or tabling acro that crosses that gap and basically makes it into one structure. This is that hard part of aquascaping, thinking for the future of the fish but then seeing future possibilities.

Either way, not going to move rocks around today due to sore back... but who am I kidding, enough advil and I'll be good to go! It is the day to put garbage out, so maybe clean up and toss some junk into the can (that I literally never fill except when cleaning up downstairs).

Next up some hard decisions on sand vs no sand. I'm kind of digging the no sand look right now simply because I see where everything has settled making it super easy to siphon should the need arise, but I do get the "museum look" someone mentioned in the other thread, so I can totally understand that. I painted the top of my stand black in case I went without sand and it looks great from the top! I can totally imagine those pictures of colorful corals just looking even better with the contrast of the black bottom.... except I realized from viewing on the side never going to see it because of reflection from the bottom pane due to the viewing angle. And I feel like sand would make it cleaner... at least now when it's full of rocks, not quite sure if that will be the case with corals in there.

Need to order some aluminum to make a lighting rack, I was going to simply have lights that raise/lower, but I'm not quite sure that'll work with the metal halide fixtures, there really isn't much room above the tank, need to measure things out to see right now. But may have to move to a gantry that slides out instead, although that tends to make the tank harder to work with because you moved your light source out of the way. Oh well. 400W and 1000W heater going strong now... at least the 1000W heater, I think the 400W heater has seen better days and needs replacement. Will check ammonia today and see where we're at and if we can move fish over. Although catching them in the 300G might be a bit more difficult than I think since I'm not ready to move the anemones over quite yet.

Created a little surface skimming box for the outside of the 40B tank, unfortunately don't have any 1" bulkheads... fortunately I lub Amazon prime and I can get 2 over here by tomorrow, and considering I'm about to go out very soon it's ok :D Why this is news? Well if I can get the 40B up at the same time as the 200 then I can drain the 300G tank slowly and simply pull all the fish, anemones and corals in one shot and it's much easier to get fish when the water level is low... I may even step into the tub to try and get them... I really don't want to though.. aiptasia, possible bristleworms... ok just convinced myself not to do so.

Also decided to get sand for both tanks, the 40B was always going to have sand just because ... the 200 I was leaning back and forth, and currently leaning towards as the reflective bottom of the tank (due to total internal reflection, PHYSICS!) isn't doing it for me. Ordered some CaribSea aragonite, that looked decent enough under aquarium lights, although might need to get the UPS guy some cookies when he delivers it... 250 pounds of sand incoming! Not going to use it all, but would rather have more than enough than not enough. Needless to say I MAY have some extra sand to sell... maybe. We'll see. Not sure when it's supposed to arrive yet as it's shipping today, it's weird though it states 53 lbs for the package... they better not stiff me!

Back