High Tide Aquatics

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

You would have to have massive batteries to run heaters for multiple days. Most pumps are much easier. But still, multi day battery backup would be pretty big. Or you need fancy batteries like the tesla powerwall.

I have been thinking of getting something. Powerwall would be i think 10-15k haven't looked into auto start natural gas generators yet.

You would have to have massive batteries to run heaters for multiple days. Most pumps are much easier. But still, multi day battery backup would be pretty big. Or you need fancy batteries like the tesla powerwall.

I have been thinking of getting something. Powerwall would be i think 10-15k haven't looked into auto start natural gas generators yet.
To run a 300 watt heater 2 days would be 130 ish amp hours. Not crazy big, but yes, a lot bigger than the 18 the ecotech ones have. Powerwall would be sweet for sure. Jealous of @JVU a bit

@BleepBloopMunchMunch told me about this. Haven‘t pulled the trigger yet, but may before summer hits.
Was thinking it would be good for pumps, ato and maybe skimmer. Seems the power goes out more often when it’s warm, so was thinking less about heaters and lights.

To run a 300 watt heater 2 days would be 130 ish amp hours. Not crazy big, but yes, a lot bigger than the 18 the ecotech ones have. Powerwall would be sweet for sure. Jealous of @JVU a bit
That is 130 Ah at 120V, so technically correct, but misleading.
Better is to say it needs 14 KWh.

A tesla powerwall 2 is 13 KWh, so close enough.
That is about $7,000.
But you also need quite a bit of extra equipment, plus installation.
So you are looking closer to $12,000.

Going DIY:
A standard good LiFePO4 battery, like I added to my camper, is 100Ah at 12V, at about $700.
You would need 12 of those to run that heater for 2 days.
Plus a simple inverter/charger.
So around $9,000.

Alternatives:
1) Solar hot water heater.
Solar heating panels + large hot water tank.
You store energy as very hot water in an insulated tank, not electricity in batteries.
Harder to control, but WAY cheaper.
2) Gas heater
Small on demand heater.
3) Generator

Note that #1 and #2 would need battery backup also, but only for controls and pumps, not heat.

Back