got ethical husbandry?

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

Coral reefer

DBTC Officer
BOD
6EE2C98B-A774-4F51-9821-5390157ED36B.jpeg

ASD flamethrower
7EE41EE2-3537-4CDF-A185-F9D8B0F62B87.jpeg

What I think might be pink lemonade, and BC Nero’s table. Starting to get some growth!
369B60DC-32A6-4D9E-8488-4A12991143CB.jpeg

New plate from ASD
C8D37E2C-0F89-489C-AE77-2A5D38300CB8.jpeg

assorted lps

Last edited:

Coral reefer

DBTC Officer
BOD
So how would you go about target feeding a bunch of chalice and other lps corals once a week? I’ve been using mysis shrimp. Recently I added in some polyp booster into the cup while defrosting. I pour off the extra “juice” with the polyp booster into the frag tanks to entice a feeding response a few minutes before feeding. I used to use oyster feast for this purpose but haven’t had any for awhile.
Open to other people’s thoughts and opinions. Once a week is just a convenient schedule for me, not real logic to that frequency. I try to get 1-2 mysis into each head/mouth for the most part.

Meshmez

Supporting Member
So how would you go about target feeding a bunch of chalice and other lps corals once a week? I’ve been using mysis shrimp. Recently I added in some polyp booster into the cup while defrosting. I pour off the extra “juice” with the polyp booster into the frag tanks to entice a feeding response a few minutes before feeding. I used to use oyster feast for this purpose but haven’t had any for awhile.
Open to other people’s thoughts and opinions. Once a week is just a convenient schedule for me, not real logic to that frequency. I try to get 1-2 mysis into each head/mouth for the most part.
Reef roids in a syringe. Mix it thick so is on the verge of a paste.

sfsuphysics

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
Can you turn a valve or unplug a pump and isolate the tank from the system? If so just do a broadcast feed for 30 or so minutes letting whatever pumps you have in there push the stuff around. Then plug it back in and let your skimmer/rest of system deal with everything.

RandyC

Supporting Member
Reef roids in a syringe. Mix it thick so is on the verge of a paste.

After watching that video, it reminds me what PITA spot feeding is.

I mix oyster feast, reef chili, roe, calanus, freeze dried mysis, nori and reef frenzy in a squirt bottle that lasts 3-4 days. Feed twice a day. Survival of the fittest after that. Dem coral got tentacles!

Meshmez

Supporting Member
Reef roids (along with a lot of foods really) i think are misunderstood. In my experience, lps especially, seem to respond great to it. But you wouldn't want to do it every day. I think broadcasting it is also problematic, especially if done frequently. I would imagine it's easier for the corals to convert reef roids (and other small particle foods) to energy than mysis as well.

Coral reefer

DBTC Officer
BOD
Replaced the batteries inside two old ecotech battery backups but can’t find the battery charge from one of them. Anyone got one laying around?

Coral reefer

DBTC Officer
BOD
Anyone got know how on how to build a battery backup for a heater? Seems like it would Be simple enough to use big 12volt batterie(s)?
Then I would just need a way to run return pumps which I know would Be harder than a heater.
If I could run a heater and a return pump or two for a day or two my system would Be able to go for a couple days with flow and heat without power. That would be awesome piece of mind.
I’ve seen plans for building backups for running ecotechs online and I am likely going to try to build 1-2 sometime soon. That way I can have a battery for vortech(s) on each tank. Display and 3 frag tanks.