Cali Kid Corals

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

6EE2C98B-A774-4F51-9821-5390157ED36B.jpeg

ASD flamethrower
7EE41EE2-3537-4CDF-A185-F9D8B0F62B87.jpeg

What I think might be pink lemonade, and BC Nero’s table. Starting to get some growth!
369B60DC-32A6-4D9E-8488-4A12991143CB.jpeg

New plate from ASD
C8D37E2C-0F89-489C-AE77-2A5D38300CB8.jpeg

assorted lps

Last edited:
So how would you go about target feeding a bunch of chalice and other lps corals once a week? I’ve been using mysis shrimp. Recently I added in some polyp booster into the cup while defrosting. I pour off the extra “juice” with the polyp booster into the frag tanks to entice a feeding response a few minutes before feeding. I used to use oyster feast for this purpose but haven’t had any for awhile.
Open to other people’s thoughts and opinions. Once a week is just a convenient schedule for me, not real logic to that frequency. I try to get 1-2 mysis into each head/mouth for the most part.

So how would you go about target feeding a bunch of chalice and other lps corals once a week? I’ve been using mysis shrimp. Recently I added in some polyp booster into the cup while defrosting. I pour off the extra “juice” with the polyp booster into the frag tanks to entice a feeding response a few minutes before feeding. I used to use oyster feast for this purpose but haven’t had any for awhile.
Open to other people’s thoughts and opinions. Once a week is just a convenient schedule for me, not real logic to that frequency. I try to get 1-2 mysis into each head/mouth for the most part.
Reef roids in a syringe. Mix it thick so is on the verge of a paste.

Can you turn a valve or unplug a pump and isolate the tank from the system? If so just do a broadcast feed for 30 or so minutes letting whatever pumps you have in there push the stuff around. Then plug it back in and let your skimmer/rest of system deal with everything.

Reef roids in a syringe. Mix it thick so is on the verge of a paste.

After watching that video, it reminds me what PITA spot feeding is.

I mix oyster feast, reef chili, roe, calanus, freeze dried mysis, nori and reef frenzy in a squirt bottle that lasts 3-4 days. Feed twice a day. Survival of the fittest after that. Dem coral got tentacles!

I don’t think I’ll use reef roids with my tank anymore so I can give you a good amount to try out if you want, I bought bulk. It raises my PO4 too much

Reef roids (along with a lot of foods really) i think are misunderstood. In my experience, lps especially, seem to respond great to it. But you wouldn't want to do it every day. I think broadcasting it is also problematic, especially if done frequently. I would imagine it's easier for the corals to convert reef roids (and other small particle foods) to energy than mysis as well.

Anyone got know how on how to build a battery backup for a heater? Seems like it would Be simple enough to use big 12volt batterie(s)?
Then I would just need a way to run return pumps which I know would Be harder than a heater.
If I could run a heater and a return pump or two for a day or two my system would Be able to go for a couple days with flow and heat without power. That would be awesome piece of mind.
I’ve seen plans for building backups for running ecotechs online and I am likely going to try to build 1-2 sometime soon. That way I can have a battery for vortech(s) on each tank. Display and 3 frag tanks.

Back