Reef nutrition

New Deepwater SPS Arriving Tomorrow

Looking forward to updates on the corals’ arrival so we know when to drive in! Photos of the corals would be great if only to help learn the different species of acros.

Would love to have a directory of scientific names with pics, and maybe examples of "named" corals to associate with them.
Some species must be more prone to specific issues than others, and actually knowing what you're trying to grow in your tank would be super useful if something isn't doing well.

Looking forward to updates on the corals’ arrival so we know when to drive in! Photos of the corals would be great if only to help learn the different species of acros.
Your trust is misplaced with me, Liz...lol. They are either Tenuis, Milipora, Deepwater, Prettty Stick or Ugly Sticks to me 98% of the time...haha

Your trust is misplaced with me, Liz...lol. They are either Tenuis, Milipora, Deepwater, Prettty Stick or Ugly Sticks to me 98% of the time...haha
And you don’t seem to care for the fancy trade names either lol. I was thinking maybe your vendor sent you photos/names? Well it’d be a nice challenge to see if we can guess the species given the short list you shared.

And you don’t seem to care for the fancy trade names either lol. I was thinking maybe your vendor sent you photos/names? Well it’d be a nice challenge to see if we can guess the species given the short list you shared.
These are all wild or mariculture. Fancy names happen later after it get in hands of wwc and the likes lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Ibn
These are all wild or mariculture. Fancy names happen later after it get in hands of wwc and the likes lol.
I agree with wild corals not deserving trade names because they haven’t been adapted to captivity yet, I was trying to ask if Neptune’s ordered the corals out of a catalogue showing coral and species name. Although, nothing out of Indo is wild anymore (according to law right?), and it is possible some maricultured acros were started from named frags. I wonder why this isn’t usually done (why don’t mariculture farms grow JF Homewrecker etc...)

Reactions: JVU
Ugh...some good news and bad news. The good news is that the shipment arrived. All 60 pieces of them. The bad news, it’s the shipment with the highest DOA rate to date for me. Lost about 20 of them. This is a new farmer I’am using and farmer with extensive Deepwater SPS selection are hard to find so it looks like I have some work to do with them to achieve better survival rate during transit. These corals are so touchy.

I’ll try to post some pics of survivors shortly.

Attachments

• 6EA1C1FE-94A7-48AA-9824-D4A01EA8E20F.jpeg
    6EA1C1FE-94A7-48AA-9824-D4A01EA8E20F.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 8E074194-43EE-4BFA-9292-22FC3424F0EE.jpeg
    8E074194-43EE-4BFA-9292-22FC3424F0EE.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 223
Saw the colonies with a few still sloughing off tissue. The survivors looks like they're bleached for the most part but should pull through.

There's also this chunky piece in the mix (branches are thicker than the width of my thumb). Not one of the species listed from what I can tell; looks like A. gemmifera or A. abrotanoides.
1619652486668.png

Saw the colonies with a few still sloughing off tissue. The survivors looks like they're bleached for the most part but should pull through.

There's also this chunky piece in the mix (branches are thicker than the width of my thumb). Not one of the species listed from what I can tell; looks like A. gemmifera or A. abrotanoides.
View attachment 26501
A. gemmifera is listed.

Reactions: Ibn
Ugh...some good news and bad news. The good news is that the shipment arrived. All 60 pieces of them. The bad news, it’s the shipment with the highest DOA rate to date for me. Lost about 20 of them. This is a new farmer I’am using and farmer with extensive Deepwater SPS selection are hard to find so it looks like I have some work to do with them to achieve better survival rate during transit. These corals are so touchy.

I’ll try to post some pics of survivors shortly.
Damn some of those look like they've been dead for a while

View attachment 26501
Looks like its got potiential!

Back