Neptune Aquatics

Thesassyindian's 13.5 gallon m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ ̶p̶i̶t̶ nano mixed reef

In my tank, I feed super heavy and swap gfo out monthly. For reference, my nitrates are ~40 and my phosphates are ~.1-.4. (Not .04, .4)

Personally, I find it funny that people dose phosphates or nitrates when they could be feeding heavier which to me, benefits the animals more.

In my tank, I feed super heavy and swap gfo out monthly. For reference, my nitrates are ~40 and my phosphates are ~.1-.4. (Not .04, .4)

Personally, I find it funny that people dose phosphates or nitrates when they could be feeding heavier which to me, benefits the animals more.
sounds good. thanks!

How much GFO for what water volume?
Does your GFO quantity match these calculations: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator/gfo-calculator ?

I use the jumbo BRS reactor on ~220 gallons with 20% carbon, 80% high capacity gfo. I need to go swap it today since I was lazy and missed yesterday. I bet if I tested po4 now, its over .4.

My numbers that I add are much higher than the calculator. I could likely put less in, but that means taking the reactor apart more than once a month, so now I only run the reactor 6 hours a day so the po4 drop is much slower. Also, gfo drops alk, so watch that too.

I use the jumbo BRS reactor on ~220 gallons with 20% carbon, 80% high capacity gfo. I need to go swap it today since I was lazy and missed yesterday. I bet if I tested po4 now, its over .4.

My numbers that I add are much higher than the calculator. I could likely put less in, but that means taking the reactor apart more than once a month, so now I only run the reactor 6 hours a day so the po4 drop is much slower. Also, gfo drops alk, so watch that too.
Thank you for your wisdom!!

Or would you just dose NeoNitro and call it a day?
Lots of options here, but I’d dose nitrates in your case. Easier and more reliable than the other options. You could just manually dose some NeoNitro once a week or so as needed to keep them at 1 ppm or so. Nitrate can fluctuate quite a bit with no I’ll effect (no doser required), you just don’t want it pegged at zero. Don’t go for high nutrient levels in your tiny tank either in my opinion.

You likely won’t need to use GFO if you dose nitrates so it’ll actually be easier and more direct.

Lots of options here, but I’d dose nitrates in your case. Easier and more reliable than the other options. You could just manually dose some NeoNitro once a week or so as needed to keep them at 1 ppm or so. Nitrate can fluctuate quite a bit with no I’ll effect (no doser required), you just don’t want it pegged at zero. Don’t go for high nutrient levels in your tiny tank either in my opinion.

You likely won’t need to use GFO if you dose nitrates so it’ll actually be easier and more direct.
Thanks John - I do see growth in the SPS I have, just not as much coloration in a couple of them. viz. Blue tipped stag and garf.

Red monti cap / Rainbow Poci / Purple stylo / Forest Fire Digi are growing fast and colored up very nicely.

The plan was to add the temperature probe, pH probe and Trident sample line to the second chamber of my AIO.
The chamber has a cross section of 90mm x 73mm.

View attachment 34040

That made sourcing a probe holder small enough, difficult.
Also, I wanted a compact solution, so designed and 3D printed a bracket.

I have some spare Marine Pure stones you could swap for those BioBalls. Way better and you can have enough to fill that little section. In Belmont.

Sorry for being MIA folks - I've been a little busy tending to my own little frag!

IMG_1146.jpg

Back