Our mission

[New start time] Frag Swap Sat 7/16/2022 at Seven Stills, SF

Will you be attending?

• Total voters

JVU

President
BOD
We will be having a members-only frag swap on Sat 7/16 at Seven Stills in San Francisco!

We are still working on some of the details, will be added to thread as we go.

Location : The Seven Stills Brewery & Distillery - 100 Hooper St Ste. 4, San Francisco, CA 94107
Date : July 16, 2022
Time : 11:30a - 2p or so. Registration starts at 11:30a.

Food and drink will be available but we are still working on those details.

Requirements
1. Must register for the event, using the poll at the top of the thread, must be done three days before the event.
2. Be a supporting member, there is no entry fee.
3. Bring a minimum of 3 separate coral frags, none from the "banned" list, and properly contained (see below).
4. Check in before 11am. If you come after we will check you in but may have lost a picking round, and you don't get to make it up with an extra pick. And it makes it more hectic for us.
5. We will be following the current vaccination/masking rules of Seven Stills/San Francisco.

Schedule
11a-12a: Setup
11:30a-12a: Registration and running corals to tables.
12a-2p or so: Swapping!
Clean up to follow.

Volunteers are needed! Sign up here.
Bonus/Ultra details are here.
Raffle details are pending.

We are very fortunate to have the amazing @Tim Obert letting us use the Seven Stills mezzanine area again. It’s a great open and airy space and perfect for the swap. Parking can be tricky in SF, but there seemed to be enough street parking in this area last time. Budget some time for parking and walking in with your frags.

This post is older but a good intro to how swaps work for those of you who haven’t been to one yet (some details have changed):

Valid frags
  • Corals MUST be in clear plastic containers, that includes lids and sides, so no styrofoam. Plastic bags will not be allowed.
  • Corals MUST be labeled with at the very least a description (e.g. name and/or color + coral type), your username. The approximate lighting level they are under can be helpful.
  • These corals are not eligible for swapping, but can be brought for the freebie table.
  • Corals should be healthy and pest free. While we should assume everything could have hidden pests, if your frag plug has Aiptasia or signs of pests it will not be accepted.
  • Frag sizes you should use will vary, bonus corals have a specified minimum, but I like to say "what kind of frag would you like to see" and use that as a guideline for how much/how big.
  • There's always a debate about mounted versus unmounted corals, and that probably will never get settled, as a result no requirement either way.
  • Things like anemones are ok if they're of a desirable nature i.e. bubble tips, maxi-mini carpets, NOT Aiptasia.
  • Sponges are not valid frags and neither is any type of macroalgae, but can be brought for the freebie table.
[edited 6/23 with all times 1 hour later to accommodate the venue’s hours]

Last edited:
I updated the first post with links to the volunteer signup thread and the bonus/ultra thread that Mike started. Feel free to ask questions here. What are you looking forward to at the swap? Since we are still working on the details, any suggestions or requests?

In discussion with Seven Stills, this will run more smoothly if we push everything back by 1 hour. So starting setup at 11a, starting swapping at 12p. I made the changes in the first post.

Their bar and kitchen open at 12p so this will allow us to sync better with them. We are still working on food/drink details, but tentatively plan to have some of their craft beer and some snack food in the mezzanine paid for by the club, and members will also be able to purchase a real lunch from them as well if they want to.

The freebie table is a great place to share livestock like the urchin that isn’t in the swap as a coral frag. Or you can make a thread in PIF and then just arrange to give it to someone at the swap.

If you bring any "non fraggable" item to the swap it is your duty to take it back home after the swap and not just leave it there if it doesn't get picked up.

Ideally I would try to pre-arrange with someone for something like an urchin, the reason why corals and anemones tend to be "OK" with not prearranging is because they asexually reproduce i.e. clone themselves, so if what you bring dies while not fun it ultimately was a clone (I believe the same with Dolly the sheep! :D).

If you bring any "non fraggable" item to the swap it is your duty to take it back home after the swap and not just leave it there if it doesn't get picked up.

Ideally I would try to pre-arrange with someone for something like an urchin, the reason why corals and anemones tend to be "OK" with not prearranging is because they asexually reproduce i.e. clone themselves, so if what you bring dies while not fun it ultimately was a clone (I believe the same with Dolly the sheep! :D).
Understood - thx for the info!

Normally there has been a dry goods free section/table if it will be done this time around, I'd suggest if X item is intended for certain person, please label it so it's easier than looking for a name-tag among the attendees.
One more thing is if the item/s intended for free find no home, the donor should take it back home.

Back