got ethical husbandry?

Custom 180G Cantilevered Reef System

BTW…just finished stubbing out the remaining piping in the water change station room for another future tank! Also, the low pressure ATO reservoir tank is now activated in the system along with a high pressure system.
This system is the first one where I had to employ both a low pressure (gravity fed) and high pressure ATO system. Works awesome though!View attachment 37842
The future second tank (a peninsula 120” X 24” X 28” ) is actually the reason the sump is so large. We should only have to add a second protein skimmer, everything else is sized to handle a total system volume of 600 gallons. I also didn’t want to have to start tearing up Sheetrock or core drilling around a running system, hence the full stub out of all the plumbing etc. This will be next years build ;)

The future second tank (a peninsula 120” X 24” X 28” ) is actually the reason the sump is so large. We should only have to add a second protein skimmer, everything else is sized to handle a total system volume of 600 gallons. I also didn’t want to have to start tearing up Sheetrock or core drilling around a running system, hence the full stub out of all the plumbing etc. This will be next years build ;)
Next year! Because this old body needs a break! Nothing from this build so far has been “standard” so I don’t expect the new tank to be either….

The new tank is going to weight roughly about 900lbs and it has to go through challenging route. A bunch of steps up outside the house and few steps down inside the house. Assuming each person can safely handle about 60lbs each (I am a weakling, I know), we’ll need at least 15 people just to get that tank onto the stand! That’s going to be a party at Max house! Haha

Assuming each person can safely handle about 60lbs each (I am a weakling, I know), we’ll need at least 15 people just to get that tank onto the stand!
You need bigger friends. I math out a safe 50 lb carry per arm per person, with a stretch at 100 lbs per arm per person :)

That's going to be amaaazing! Any difference in plans for the current 180g vs the peninsula? Reef, fish only, biotope specific?

I think we’re trying something new. Saltwater Goldfish!
Acclimate the bubble eye ones and name them ultra OG bounce Goldfish. Reef folk love anything bounce $$$

A Bubble-Eye Goldfish. It is a selectively bred fancy fish that has no  dorsal fin and can only look upwards : r/assholedesign

Hi Max! Welcome to the club!!! Glad you found my hide out!

The folks in this club are super reefers and super nice and so they have a wealth of knowledge. Wears this hobby on their sleeves for sure. There’s no question they can’t answer! If there’s one club that I highly respect, this is the one. They were also super instrumental to my growth as an LFS owner and as a hobbyist so you’re in good hand. I hope they’ll help teaching you a few things or two like they did me. Whatever you do, don’t invite them to your house. I don’t want them to dissect all my design flaws!
Totally agree with you! I would not be where I’m at in reefing today if it wasn’t for the 16+ years of the club!!!!! Oh and Robert, this build is one of the best I’ve seen in a long time!!! This is insane bro!!!! Amazing job!!!!!

Totally agree with you! I would not be where I’m at in reefing today if it wasn’t for the 16+ years of the club!!!!! Oh and Robert, this build is one of the best I’ve seen in a long time!!! This is insane bro!!!! Amazing job!!!!!
Thank You! Max and I had a lot of fun designing this together. I think the best part is that even his son is really into this so I had a whole ton of motivation in building it out for them. That’s the best part of this sort of project, helping to make dreams come true! I think what’s even more wonderful is that the club gained another member!

I am hoping to check out your new shop! So far, it looks like you’re on to a great start so keep up the awesome work. Also, if you haven’t try Route 66 Marine, check them out.

BTW…back in the early days, my wife and I would drive to LA area wholesaler every week for a whole year to pick up corals. When budget is tight, hand picking corals counts a lot. Your money goes a lot further. We would hit up Route 66, SDC, Quality Marine, and some other local guys. Always came back with load of cherries and smiles! Unfortunately, we’re too old for that now but you look like you still young enough to do that…

Thank You! Max and I had a lot of fun designing this together. I think the best part is that even his son is really into this so I had a whole ton of motivation in building it out for them. That’s the best part of this sort of project, helping to make dreams come true! I think what’s even more wonderful is that the club gained another member!

I am hoping to check out your new shop! So far, it looks like you’re on to a great start so keep up the awesome work. Also, if you haven’t try Route 66 Marine, check them out.

BTW…back in the early days, my wife and I would drive to LA area wholesaler every week for a whole year to pick up corals. When budget is tight, hand picking corals counts a lot. Your money goes a lot further. We would hit up Route 66, SDC, Quality Marine, and some other local guys. Always came back with load of cherries and smiles! Unfortunately, we’re too old for that now but you look like you still young enough to do that…
Thanks Robert! I’m 45 so not that young, lol! I appreciate all the insight! It would be nice to see you, it’s been a long time!

Stainless FTW!
You guys go with the classic food grade 316? Or do you not want to tig and used a 420 or 440 higher carbon stainless?

Also, you already know this (some people reading might not) but even stainless steels will rust around salt water. Any thought of a coat of paint to help with corrosion?

Last edited:
You guys go with the classic food grade 316? Or do you not want to tig and used a 420 or 440 higher carbon stainless?

Also, you already know this but even stainless steels will rust around salt water. Any thought of a coat of paint to help with corrosion?
Not sure on the grade. @TheRealMadMax would probably know.

Yes, I’am fully aware of rust on stainless. Even 316 can still rusts.

Back