Kessil

Rich's home tank

@Thales

If your solenoid turns ON and OFF at a pretty constant rate, you can make a VO alarm to let you know your Ca is running low.

Here is mine. My solenoid turns on every 10 minuted on average. I programmed the VO if the CO2 solenoid outlet is ON longer than 15 minutes (using the 'Defer' programming) then turn ON the VO. Then I have programming in the alarm outlet when the VO is on to send me a notification.

Low CO (virtual output)
1659676017978.png

In the email alarm outlet, I have this programming:

If Output Alarm_CO_Low = ON Then ON

Reactions: JVU
@Thales

If your solenoid turns ON and OFF at a pretty constant rate, you can make a VO alarm to let you know your Ca is running low.

Here is mine. My solenoid turns on every 10 minuted on average. I programmed the VO if the CO2 solenoid outlet is ON longer than 15 minutes (using the 'Defer' programming) then turn ON the VO. Then I have programming in the alarm outlet when the VO is on to send me a notification.

Low CO (virtual output)
View attachment 40983

Thanks! That is great!

@Thales

Low CO (virtual output)
View attachment 40983

Hi Jon,
What I really want to do is hook a scale up to the APEX, put the co2 tank on the scale, and have the APEX alert me when the tank reaches X weight so I know it is almost empty. I talke to someone about it once, but never followe up. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi Jon,
What I really want to do is hook a scale up to the APEX, put the co2 tank on the scale, and have the APEX alert me when the tank reaches X weight so I know it is almost empty. I talke to someone about it once, but never followe up. Any ideas? Thanks!
You could DIY something.
Put your CO2 tank in a bucket of water with an Apex float switch.
As CO2 tank goes empty, tank rises up, displaces less water, so water level goes down.
Triggers float switch.
Calibrate by adding a bit more/less water to the bucket.
Standard Apex stuff only, no electronic knowhow.
Not sure if sensitivity or water evaporation might be an issue though.
How much does CO2 tank weigh empty/full, and how fast does it change?

Why not just put an alarm if the pH in the reactor goes over a certain point if the solenoid is open for a certain consecutive length of time. This would indicate that the Co2 in the tank is out.

Why not just put an alarm if the pH in the reactor goes over a certain point if the solenoid is open for a certain consecutive length of time. This would indicate that the Co2 in the tank is out.

I have that alarm setup for the CA reactor too. :cool:

Hi Jon,
Not, sure, but I will ask the engineers to see what they say.

We have some scale sensors that will output a 0-10v. That’s the only Input Apex is missing compared to the other guys, but probably the least used unless you added it as a PH probe, maybe. I’ll, ask my techs what device we use to I change a 0-10v to a open/closed contact. I know we use them last resort. If they are reasonably $ parts, I’ll post.

What is the weight range on your CO tank full to empty to see if the parts we use cover the range?

You could probably get a pressure switch to put in line, and connect it to a breakout box. You would have to set a limit for it to trigger, so it wouldn't be a variable output. But could help

We have some scale sensors that will output a 0-10v. That’s the only Input Apex is missing compared to the other guys, but probably the least used unless you added it as a PH probe, maybe. I’ll, ask my techs what device we use to I change a 0-10v to a open/closed contact. I know we use them last resort. If they are reasonably $ parts, I’ll post.

What is the weight range on your CO tank full to empty to see if the parts we use cover the range?

You can use an ASM module (the one that ships with the par module) if you want to experiment. That what people have used to get CO2 monitoring in Apex Fusion.

The weight of the CO2 in a full 20 lbs tank should be 20 lbs (being helpful)
Not sure if this is meant as a joke or not, so apologies if it is, but this is not true.

My 10# tank weighs 25 lbs full.

I believe the contents (gas/liquid) weighs the rated # on the bottle. There should also be a tare weight, being the weight of the bottle itself. Those 2 together should be the weight of a full bottle.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is meant as a joke or not, so apologies if it is, but this in not true.

My 10# tank weighs 25 lbs full.

I believe the contents (gas/liquid) weighs the # on the bottle
Sort of a joke but sort of not- and what I said is true. Maybe you misunderstood.

The way those tanks are named is how much liquid CO2 they hold. A “20 lbs tank” holds about 20 lbs of CO2 when full, plus the weight of the tank itself. The stamped TW (or tare weight) on the tank is the weight of the tank empty. Sometimes they will also write on the weight of the CO2 it is tested to be able to hold, but it will be approximately the rated amount.

Back