Kessil

SupraSaltyReefer - ELOS 120XL and then some

02/27/2023
Started to mount the Radions to the 40.5" RMS track.
4CD45A85-4692-4136-9A7F-34205FECAB19.jpeg

FF92937A-4013-4402-B1A2-D5D84A473BF0.jpeg

I wanted to add two Kessil 360X as supplemental lighting and to add shimmer so I had to figure out a way to mount it to the RMS track. Ended up using some M5 screws, bolts and washers from Lowe's.
7E26D399-CB44-47A3-BFB0-1502593D1527.jpeg

Used this metal piece from RMS mounts to sit in the channel.
C27E694A-3CF8-423B-A5BC-E169F72B7A7E.jpeg

Finished Kessil mount. Just enough clearance for the knobs and wifi dongle.
BB81A141-C72F-409C-8DAD-76087FE7EB07.jpeg

Final lighting configuration. 2x Radion XR30 G5 Blue 1x Radion XR30 G5 Pro (need to trade this with someone for a Blue in case anyone is interested) and 2x Kessil A360X.
3C1AFEFB-46B6-4F7E-8805-981735068FA5.jpeg

Still need to clean up the wires.
C9E732C7-B52D-40F1-9269-4DD841417A0B.jpeg

Last edited:
Came home from a 16 day vacation and surprisingly nothing was dead. Corals actually look healthy. Torch tentacles are long and flesh looks good.

Couple things I did before I left:
1. 20% water change.
2. Set up the Boxtech automatic fish feeder from Amazon.
3. Made sure skimmer and UV was working properly.
4. Most importantly made sure my Tunze ATO with 35g reservoir was working properly. Looks like 20g of water was used so luckily I still had 15g of water left.
5. My Reefmat 1200 fleece did run out at day 13 and I was notified by the Reef Beat app which I knew was going to happen since I had an estimated 13 days left on the roll.
6. I also installed a Arlo security camera pointed at my sump so I could periodically check to see if anything was off.

Time to scrape the algae film off the glass and do another 20% water change.
IMG_9678.jpeg

IMG_9649.jpeg

Last edited:
I finally cleaned the tank last night. Snapped this quick pic and video this morning of my gang of Golden Hawkfishes. Some background on them, two of the smaller ones have been together since 2021. I added the larger hawkfish in December 2022 when I set up this ELOS. I think 2 of them have paired up since they always hang around each other. The 3rd just chills on the side. No aggression at all between them.

img_9958-jpeg.3145369

I finally cleaned the tank last night. Snapped this quick pic and video this morning of my gang of Golden Hawkfishes. Some background on them, two of the smaller ones have been together since 2021. I added the larger hawkfish in December 2022 when I set up this ELOS. I think 2 of them have paired up since they always hang around each other. The 3rd just chills on the side. No aggression at all between them.
Those golden hawkfish are cool! Never knew about those.

Made a quick video last night while I was doing a water change. I find that it's the best time if you want to get a closer shot of your corals since the water level is lower. The bigger anemone is a CSB and the smaller anemone is a Chicago. They have been in my tank since April, but have been in a friends tank for years with no chemical warfare :)

Made a quick video last night while I was doing a water change. I find that it's the best time if you want to get a closer shot of your corals since the water level is lower. The bigger anemone is a CSB and the smaller anemone is a Chicago. They have been in my tank since April, but have been in a friends tank for years with no chemical warfare :)

First in line when you get a split ;)

@SupraSaltyReefer
if you have the pax algae thing
why the kessil?
and what’s in the 2 black mesh baskets?
definitely a lot going on down there!
may it yield magnificence!
Pax Bellum is growing Chaeto.

I like collecting macroalgae. One basket has Red pom pom, Gracilaria hayi and the other has Dead man's Fingers, Codium decorticatum. There is a Picasso clownfish in each basket as well temporarily until they find new homes.

In the refugium section also has some Feather Caulerpa, Caulerpa sertularioides and Caulerpa Prolifera.

Last edited:
Quick update, I had the opportunity to add my dream tang to the gang. Zebra Tang! Only took 2 weeks in an acclimation box to lessen the aggression. Released it at night with the lights off and used a BIG mirror to distract the other tangs. Kept nori available 24/7. Achilles tang was the only one that tried to chase it, but by morning the next day everyone was gettting along.

Quick update, I had the opportunity to add my dream tang to the gang. Zebra Tang! Only took 2 weeks in an acclimation box to lessen the aggression. Released it at night with the lights off and used a BIG mirror to distract the other tangs. Kept nori available 24/7. Achilles tang was the only one that tried to chase it, but by morning the next day everyone was gettting along.
Tank is looking great! Would love to stop by one of these days to check it out. That convict + Zebra combo is stunning, really makes both stand out even more!

How many tangs?

I get bored easily so I’ve been working on this side project in the garage. It’s a 60g Advanced Acrylics frag tank 48x24x12” with some extra equipment I’ve been hoarding in the garage. Shoutout to @RandyC since I got a lot of inspiration from his setup.

Met up John from Advanced Acrylics to pick up the tank since he was making a delivery in the Bay Area.
IMG_4082.jpeg

I chose the heavy duty Dewalt rack that’s 77x24x72” since it’s much better quality than Husky, Costco and the other brands. I also believe it’ll be less prone to rust since it’s powder coated yellow. Worth the extra money. Also added 3/4” plywood and anti-fatigue mats for some leveling and cushion.
IMG_4604.jpeg

Decided to go with a Warriors theme since the rack is yellow so the pvc and fittings needed to match. My go to pvc cement is Oatey Fusion single step pvc clear cement. No need for primer and drys clear.
IMG_4718.jpeg

I’m a fan of eurobrace tanks. The ledge is very useful to prevent splashes and comes in handy when fragging.
IMG_4768.jpeg

Plumbing completed. I’m using a Red Sea Reefer 350 V3 glass sump. Dual 3/4” ball valves are Cepex and 1” gate valve is Spears. Still deciding if I should add a Reefmat or not, but maybe that’ll be a future upgrade.
IMG_4770.jpeg

Transferred some frags over. Since I’m not running an Apex on this tank I wanted to use equipment that’s controllable with an app for monitoring. So I’m using two EcoTech Radion XR30 G5 Blue for lighting, a Vectra S2 for a return pump, an Ink Bird WiFi ITC-306A paired with a BRS 150w heater and a Red Sea Reefwave 25 with ReefBeat.
IMG_4798.jpeg

Stole this idea from @RandyC as well. I used the Ecotech hanging kit to hang the RMS track to the plywood on the top shelf and secured it with a wire and clasp.
IMG_5774.jpeg

Completed. So far I have a few shrooms, zoas and anemones I’m growing out. Also a great holding tank for fishes lol.
IMG_5778.jpeg

Last edited:
Back