got ethical husbandry?

200g reboot

That definitely is a sexy sump! What are the overall dimensions?

I love it how CnC machines or 3d printers get cheaper then we as hobbyists get more options about where to go to get something that we want, no longer are the days of high end and low end options because no one else wants to get into the market commercially, just some dude who has some skill and a machine that can cut precisely enough to make a professional product.

Dims are 36" l x 19 3/4" w x 21" h for the sump, and 12" l x 19 3/4" w x 21" h for the ato (19 3/4" is the widest I can get between the supports in the stand)

So now I need to figure out the return pump -
Replace the eheim 1262 that I've had running this tank (and its predecessor) for the last 10yrs with some fancy DC controllable thing, or just get a new impeller while I've got the thing disconnected?

I've never had issues with eheim pumps, but I'm running with I don't even know how many feet of head pressure so I'm sure it's possible to get better circulation through the sump. Though only a 3/4" return line so maybe not.

Last edited:
How did that Vectra work for you Mario?

I got a decent DC return pump, but I think the company went out of business, Deepwater Aquatics, and not a fan of too many other brands out there.

I have a RO Varios return (and skimmer) and have been happy with them. Some of the LED lights went out on the controllers (but still operated fine) so CoralVue replaced the controller boxes without a problem.

The pumps themselves have been rock-solid, no more maintenance or hassle than AC pumps, and extremely quiet. Like it’s hard to tell if they are on except for the water they are pushing.

I wound up ordering a varios - I've worked with coralvue a lot (maxspect, reef octopus, ai, nyos, etc etc gear) and they've always been great.

How did that Vectra work for you Mario?

I got a decent DC return pump, but I think the company went out of business, Deepwater Aquatics, and not a fan of too many other brands out there.

Well, the nice thing is the controllable flow; it was to increase the flow on the closed-loop but you know the story already.

i-rdxhTD7-X4.jpg

Well, I've destroyed the house, but the new sump has water cycling through it!

Very spiffy sump Jess, I like it.

What's with that union on the return pipe though? Half black half white? :D Not complaining, I just have never had luck in different unions working with each other, threads off ever so slightly or something.

Wow, good eye!

I think you can guess what happened - There was a union at that spot in the original overflow plumbing. The plan was to cut the pipe above the union and install a new one, but a last minute run to ace hardware for 45* elbows uncovered what looked like a perfect match. Passed a test fit and everything, so saved myself some time. Really the important part of unions is making sure the placement and compression of the o-ring inside is solid, and we're all set with no leaks or seeps!

My suggestion:
Put a divider between left and right side above sump.
Could be as simple as a plastic drop cloth stapled in there. No need for perfect air-tight.
That will separate the skimmer salt water air on left from the electronics on right.
Simple thing, and will make your hardware last WAY longer.

FFF5C4BE-50F6-4033-B59F-3D06E117F85A.jpeg

Just spending my Sunday night installing blackout curtains on the tank. As one does.

I added light diffusers to the hydras a few weeks ago, which definitely cuts down on the disco ball look inside the tank, but they reeeeally ramped up the glare when looking at the tank from most angles.

1CEC783F-D178-408E-996D-1D53E30CDAC4.jpeg

I also got this neat magnetic rock for Xmas. Should make the overflow box a little more interesting once there are corals growing all over it.

I decided to do one last batch of fish through QT before selling off the QT tank.

Picked up a couple wrasses, and this guy/gal (sargassum trigger):
trigger.jpg

I've had bluejaw triggers, couple kinds of filefish, valentini puffers in reefs before so I thought this isn't toooo far out into the weeds.

I noticed the wrasses were getting their tail fins nipped a bit in the bare 29g QT, so I put an eggcrate divider between the trigger and the wrasses, everything seemed fine.

A couple days later, I come home to find half a wrasse being blown around the tank. Turns out all the wrasses are small enough to squeeze under or through the eggcrate (this has since been fixed) but I'm not sure where to go from here. I have no idea what happened to the wrasse - if it got stuck in the eggcrate, died and then got eaten, or if this is just triggerzilla.

I'm going to keep doing the prazi/copper QT thing to get all these fish ready to go, but at the end of it... I'm not sure how eager I am to drop the trigger in the reef.

Any advice?

Had a blue throat trigger before. Loved that fish until it was too big. I remember dropping a couple emerald crabs in and while they were sinking, the trigger snapped them up. That blue jaw is beautiful. Cant wait to see your tank next week.

Back