got ethical husbandry?

55+ Gallon Acrylic Tank in Oakland Chinatown

I only tried Nori recently because she didn't eat anything else. Normally I give pellets (about 10 for the tank) in the morning and one pipet of brine shrimp/water mixture at night.

From what you detailed, I probably have been giving too much so I'll I'll actually scale it back. I've been getting some algae growing at the bottom so I'm sure that's a contributing factor.

Thanks for sharing that your fish also has some odd swimming behavior as it wakes up. That reassures me a bit more, but I'm definitely going to go get some of mysis this weekend.
Try one of the mixed foods like Rod's or LRS fish frenzy since there's different types of prey mixed up in there. See if that gets the fish going.

Is there some surface agitation happening somewhere? The water looks super still in the pics. Fish will swim at the surface if they are lacking oxygen. How is the clown doing?

I have an overflow in the back of the tank and then a sump below. I read online that fish swim at the surface when they're low on oxygen so I've also been running an air stone since I noticed her behavior. I also have kept the top off a bit and opened up the sump area below so more oxygen can flow.

She isn't eating still as of this morning. I plan to go on Saturday to get some different types of food. Maybe I'll point up some of my return valves so that it creates some more surface break to help with more oxygen.

Note that airstones don't necessarily create a lot of oxygen - they oxygenate via surface agitation like everything else, the underwater bubbles do very little. So if it's not creating much surface agitation it isn't doing much.

Seems like you should be OK with water flowing through an overflow weir and a sump, but fish swimming at the surface and gasping is like the hallmark sign of low oxygen. Do you have any flow pumps in the tank?

Try Reef Nutrition's TDO. One of the top dressings really entices fish to eat.

Note that airstones don't necessarily create a lot of oxygen - they oxygenate via surface agitation like everything else, the underwater bubbles do very little. So if it's not creating much surface agitation it isn't doing much.

Seems like you should be OK with water flowing through an overflow weir and a sump, but fish swimming at the surface and gasping is like the hallmark sign of low oxygen. Do you have any flow pumps in the tank?

I didn't see where he said it was gasping. If its not gasping, if they're all not gasping, its not o2 related. Without testing you won't be able to guess it. Its very common when fish aren't happy to swim near the surface,

I do not at the moment. I thought I had more than enough with the sump and overflow. I will look into some though to ensure there's enough surface agitation.

What is your turnover rate for the sump pump?
If it’s at least 5 times the volume, you should not need an air stone
My pump is rates for 800 GPH. My tank is no more than 75 Gallons including the overflow and sump. I do have the entry point for the pump closed as much as it allows because the flow seemed to be too much when it was full throttle.

Hi Everyone - Thank you all for your recommendations and insights.

QUICK UPDATE - Today, my clown has moved to different areas of the tank, but now she is swimming up and then turning on her back, as if she's doing a back flip.

It is hard to capture with just a photo, so here's also a link to a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZNtkX6w3TUHh12S1A

Anyone see this behavior before?

Attachments

• PXL_20240215_012037828.jpg
    PXL_20240215_012037828.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 26
Hi Everyone - Thank you all for your recommendations and insights.

QUICK UPDATE - Today, my clown has moved to different areas of the tank, but now she is swimming up and then turning on her back, as if she's doing a back flip.

It is hard to capture with just a photo, so here's also a link to a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZNtkX6w3TUHh12S1A

Anyone see this behavior before?
Bad news. Just since posting this a few minutes ago I've noticed her now hanging out the bottom of the tank. Not sure if there's anything I can do now.

Attachments

• PXL_20240215_014223616.jpg
    PXL_20240215_014223616.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 29
Try Reef Nutrition's TDO. One of the top dressings really entices fish to eat.

I didn't see where he said it was gasping. If its not gasping, if they're all not gasping, its not o2 related. Without testing you won't be able to guess it. Its very common when fish aren't happy to swim near the surface,

He did say it was gasping in post #29, but I agree it could certainly be other things.

Something is certainly wrong with the fish beyond simply being disinterested in food, IMO. But also agree TDO is great!

Back