Jestersix

A soon to be "hello" from afar (asking for tank relocation advice :D)

High desert living. Nice. I'll be in Silver City and parts of Southern NM this July for two weeks. I am sure it is different to live there, but vacationing there is very peaceful. Have not made it out in three years so I am ready. Congratulations.

It will be cool to see how you get moved out there and get the animals adjusted. Plan to set up a tank there and then ship or drive them out?

Thanks all :) Luckily, I still got some time before going.

Ian, larger, not by much. I'll be ditching the 40g for either the cadlights 50 or elos70. ...but for the first time (!!!), I'll have a sump and can hide all my awful looking HOB stuff :p

99sf (Sorry, forget the name attached to the avatar lol), I'll be looking for a place in Santa Fe which is where work is located. Probably an apt for the first year to make sure I really like the area/job. Don't want to get locked into a house early on only to find out that it is "all" a bad fit for me.

Jim, I have a crappy small couch now and you just can't sleep on it....you bet I'll be upgrading that :p

Richard, I'll be driving my fish out with me and will set up a temp tank for them while the new tank gets ready. Bryan has very graciously offered to house and ship out my coral to me when I am ready for them. I'll be "breaking them down" to frag size to make it easier and for a fresh start. I've been given a very generous relocation budget, so I'll see about pre-paying for those shipping kits that Gresh posted and get it handled with relocation expenses ;)

Congratulations!

You'll be missed. I hope to see you on the boards as I've found you to be a tremendous resource.

Best in all your future endeavors.

Best of luck Tony. Do let us know about the latest in lighting. Even though this sounds wrong, sometimes it is more exciting talking about LEDs than corals.

Tony, Take care and enjoy yourself. Of all the places in the southwest that is probably the best of all.
But we'll still be seeing you.

Brian, I'm working on that right now. It will be in mid July

Step 1) get moving quotes...and with that

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUBSTANTIATED POSITIVE RECOMMENDATIONS ON MOVERS???
I moved up here very successfully with Mayflower but I need some quotes from a few companies for the upcoming move.

Thought I'd pick all of your brains for any good suggestions or ideas to increase the success rate of transitioning out to Santa Fe.

The info and plan:

Fish,coral and rock (only some) will be in a "cooler tank" for up to 13 days...maybe as little as 6 days (depends on how fast movers are)
I'll break down my tank on a Sunday, movers pack and load on Mon/Tue and I will then drive out to SF arriving on Thursday or so.
When movers arrive at new location, I can relocate cooler occupants to 40g tank and can up the flow and water volume etc
The cooler is this guy http://www.igloo-store.com/detail/IGL+MAX+COLD+40 which I can probably fill 2/3 full on transportation and 90% full when not in the car (1-2 day drive depending on if we want to go non stop
I'll have a small 50watt stealth and a small koralia run on a 100watt car inverter.

Occupants to transport will be (1 ea) foxface, clown, tail spot blenny, royal gramma, and two shark nose gobbies. ..and a coupe hermits, snails and small abalone. Coral will be a dozen or so small frags of SPS, a dozen or so small LPS frags and a few large LPS pieces that don't to frag (like plates/brains). I'll leave the cooler as open as I can for the fish, and I'll use frag racks glued in place to hold the coral.
THis is pretty full here, so I won't have room for much rock. I was thinking of using either 1-2 ~6" live rocks from my tank, or start a foam filter/airstone, or start up some seachem DeNitrate (high porocity media) and let it culture in my tank for a few weeks prior and then put down a thin layer of it in the bottom of the cooler.

I'll also bring with me 2g of RO/DI and 2g of 35ppt salt water.

Note: the 40g tank is also going to be temp...after my new tank is setup and rock cycles, all will be transferred on over.

Appreciate any advice :-D

What about having one of us hold and ship the stuff to you? I'd be willing to help bag and ship it out via Air Cargo so you'd have it in 6 - 8 hours. IIRC you're looking at like .40 a kilo??

GreshamH said:
What about having one of us hold and ship the stuff to you? I'd be willing to help bag and ship it out via Air Cargo so you'd have it in 6 - 8 hours. IIRC you're looking at like .40 a kilo??

+1

Back