got ethical husbandry?

AI Lights

musclebenz

Supporting Member
I just picked up a use Nuvo 20 tanks from and it came with an AI Hydra 26. The AI lights are really nice. I am so impressed, I thinking about switching my Kessil AP 700 to AI lights on my 70 gallon. Do others reefers like the AI lights?

I just picked up a use Nuvo 20 tanks from and it came with an AI Hydra 26. The AI lights are really nice. I am so impressed, I thinking about switching my Kessil AP 700 to AI lights on my 70 gallon. Do others reefers like the AI lights?
My main question is what do you think the AI is going to do for you that the Kessil isn't today? If it has a feature you are willing to pay for, then go for it. I have just seen reefers change their light expecting magic. You've seen my tank with the AP700's, so you at least have something to compare it to with an older tank. LED's do have an operating lifetime, so if you think you are near that on the Kessils, then that would be my big reason to switch.

My main question is what do you think the AI is going to do for you that the Kessil isn't today? If it has a feature you are willing to pay for, then go for it. I have just seen reefers change their light expecting magic. You've seen my tank with the AP700's, so you at least have something to compare it to with an older tank. LED's do have an operating lifetime, so if you think you are near that on the Kessils, then that would be my big reason to switch.
I just like the look they provides in the tank and the modern style they bring. The AP700 have served my tank very well, so I guess it's just looks and how they fit into the overall environment.

The 1st time someone pointed out the 'disco' effect my AI lights had, that was all I could see from then. Moved to Radions (better) then to Kessils and never looked back.

I've had Chinese black box lights, Nanobox mini, and now AI Prime 16 HD.

I like the Prime HD. I wish the app was better. I don't have disco issues, but I run them 9" above the water and run red/green at only 5%.

That said, I think Kessil's are the best and I've always viewed Radeons as overkill and too expensive for what you gain.

However, Kessil a360we's are $350 a pop plus you need a $100 WIRED (? right) controller.

So for my purposes, I'd have needed to spend $800 for 2 Kessil's + controller where I spent ~$550 for 2 AI Prime's that have built in control via a mobile app over wifi.

I'm too cheap with these things -- so I couldn't justify the extra $250 even though I do think the Kessil is a superior light. I just don't think its that much more superior to justify the significant cost bump.

I feel like BRS shill in saying this but I do think that the most cost effective light setup for a capable of growing anything mixed reef is the t5 + AI Prime setup.

Lights.jpg

That is 180 par in the corners 18" depth with the lights 9" above the water -- unless you are planning to grow acros on the sand bed, its plenty of par. Kessils would be capable of bumping it a notch, but the bigger thing is that the dense array light provides the most natural looking spectrum -- no chance of disco lighting.

If you are up to aesthetics Kessils are no go - not sure why they can't hide a wiring and make it modern looking - reminds me De'Lorian from Back to the Future :) It was great looking 20-30 years ago but not today.

If you are up to aesthetics Kessils are no go - not sure why they can't hide a wiring and make it modern looking - reminds me De'Lorian from Back to the Future :) It was great looking 20-30 years ago but not today.
The mount with the AP700 does a pretty decent job of hiding the wire I think, granted I did some small cuts to make it the right height for me, and give the wire a new exit path. Can you find the wires in this picture? :)

20200329_105933.jpg

I have 12 x AI prime. Well, actually 11 now.
They do get clogged with dust pretty easy, but you can just vaccum the screen without taking anything apart.

The real problem: the UV LED will actually melt the lens in front of it.
This has happened to 3 of them so far.
One melted and seems to have fried the LED itself, and the light.
It was in the corner, so still has not been replaced.

On the other hand, I really like the color and spread.

Oh, also the AI prime power supplies are cheap also, and get rather hot.
I actually had some big high quality power supplies from a previous project, and replaced all of them.

The real problem: the UV LED will actually melt the lens in front of it.
This has happened to 3 of them so far.
One melted and seems to have fried the LED itself, and the light.

Oof - I hadn't read that.

Do you know if its a case of running the channel excessively high?

I'm running around that AB+ setting with UV/Violet at 115%

I bought these new, and bought an off the shelf unit vs DIY, because I wanted longevity. So would hate to see something burn out like that in the next few years from just normal use.

acrylic/plastic that is the splash shield/lenses for LEDs simply isn't as clear for UV/violent spectrums as it is for other wavelengths of light. I had the same thing happen on a DIY fixture, had all the lenses, looking good, and noticed the violet ones all blacked out over time, so I ditched the lenses and they've been good to go.

Oof - I hadn't read that.

Do you know if its a case of running the channel excessively high?

I'm running around that AB+ setting with UV/Violet at 115%

I bought these new, and bought an off the shelf unit vs DIY, because I wanted longevity. So would hate to see something burn out like that in the next few years from just normal use.
I have always run UV at 100%, never more.

Don’t let the initial impression fool you. Because, I think this is a really backward move. The AP700 is far more superior in performance compared to AI Hydra. I can give you a whole day worth of explanation if you have the time to talk about it in the shop.

Back