Cali Kid Corals

Anemone box prototype

I've been working on a anemone box / frag rack but it's still in the design faze. What do you guys think.
f6cbd4318df0f274dabc722424887633.jpg
9afc64dab522e40b29eb4dfd2f24fa50.jpg
e5bd0f3cb9a48fad7d604953b92e03ba.jpg
940f34f58403990ad86556250c635bf1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

There is no such thing as an escape proof anemone box that doesn’t completely restrict flow....I’ve had multiple 3-4” BTAs squeeze through a 1/8” basket hole.

I agree with both. Looks nice though. I made a box with tons of 3/8 holes and it’s contained them so far. I literally two minutes ago found one got out the top AND the top is half inch above the water line. It crawled out and was hanging onto the outside lip lol

I wouldn’t try to combine an anemone box and a frag rack, seems like guaranteed trouble for the frags.

Nems will go right through that. In my Nem propagation tank they would routinely go through the 1/4" holes in egg crate. The size of the nem doesn't matter much either. They are 95% water and can expel it in order to fit through tiny holes.

I like the idea for sure. The way I look at it is this...if the nem is happy it won’t move, so most people won’t have issues.

You definitely need smaller holes though. I like the shroom box style for nems.

I love the idea of frag rack with it. I’d use it.

Great start.

I like the idea for sure. The way I look at it is this...if the nem is happy it won’t move, so most people won’t have issues.

Great start.

Nems will almost always move in a box.

Great start.
Thank you so I've decided on a new design I will work on after this Sacramento soccer tournament

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’ve seen multiple 3”+ BTAs get through the small holes. Saw them mid-squeeze as well a few times. Caliper says ~0.2”. You cannot contain these little forkers.

F1D83558-5A86-425A-912E-914F5AEFAEF8.jpeg

After several years of making anemone guards for pumps, they are damn near impossible to contain.

Once you get holes small enough, they get unhappy because the water is stagnant.

The trick is to keep the box in a place where the anemone is happy. Make it so it doesn't want to move instead of trying to keep it in prison.

Reef Geek 3D Printing

Speak of the devil. This one just decided tonight to get out of the basket through the holes and split itself.

1FF98122-6894-4FB1-A0F5-082402AB17AC.jpeg

Last edited:
I wonder if you could use tubes instead of just holes drilled in the box. My thinking is that perhaps the anemone can feel that it’s open on the other side and climbs through. If the tubes are say an inch long maybe they won’t feel that it’s open on the other side? Flow going into the box would need to be very directional though; parallel with the tubes.

Back