Kessil

Anemone box prototype

I wonder if you could use tubes instead of just holes drilled in the box. My thinking is that perhaps the anemone can feel that it’s open on the other side and climbs through. If the tubes are say an inch long maybe they won’t feel that it’s open on the other side? Flow going into the box would need to be very directional though; parallel with the tubes.

I believe that one of the reasons they move around in boxes is simply because they don't feel safe. Nems like to have a firm anchor either deep into sand or deep into a crevice (depending on species.) In a box they never get that firm anchor.

Here is my new prototype . Disregard previous one on the bottom. This one includes frag rock rubble.
4499092934ca4c1c2dea65d2317735fb.jpg
2ec45a6087f9c0a5826433d058f93c6b.jpg
8bb38a221788b9dbd27c8916ed45b262.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Not enough flow. The other flaw here is the frag rack. If the Nem does decide to walk around a bit and head outside the box he will sting the sh*t out of the frags.

Yeah, anemones need flow and you don't want to have openings too big for them... hence the problem. Also I wouldn't try to force an all in one solution for frags and anemones you want to sell.
Plus ditch the color, they're photosythetic creatures having light the red would more likely cause even more stress since it'll filter out the other spectrum

Yeah, anemones need flow and you don't want to have openings too big for them... hence the problem. Also I wouldn't try to force an all in one solution for frags and anemones you want to sell.
Plus ditch the color, they're photosythetic creatures having light the red would more likely cause even more stress since it'll filter out the other spectrum
Aren't our tanks lit from the top down not from the sides?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A decent amount of the light that livestock in our tanks receive doesn't come directly from the top. Light reflected from the sides, sand, etc account for some of the light. This is particularly important for the underside of branching corals and other similar livestock. Nem boxes are often placed off to the side away from much of the overhead lights. I don't know what spectrum red acrylic will absorb or diminish, but it sounds like it's a possibility and if they filter out the blues it could be detrimental to Nems. Maybe -- possibly.

Yeah, gotta think with in a box, like if you were the anemone, rather than out of the box with the glossy ideas. It’s a $2 container that can be had for at the Chinese market.
Even with any holding containers, you would want it to be clear to monitor the specimen. Wild anemone get infections all of the time and captive bred, too, from handling.

Last edited:
I assumed you were using colored acrylic for prototyping. I don't use my highest demand materials for prototypes. I use what's been laying around for months because no one wants it (yeah purple, I'm talking about you).

Reef Geek 3D Printing

Not sure if there'd be enough flow possibly if a power head was pointed in it's general direction? One way I always checked flow in a tank was to crush up some flake food really finely and put that into the water, it's like they do at those shows with the fluorescent balls, but it's food to eat.

Edit: Oh didn't notice the pump at the bottom, interesting way of doing things. I might put some holes in that up pipe so that the water can squirt out in multiple directions.... but test it out first.

I guess as a reference this is the best design I’ve seen for a nem box. A pricey option I haven’t tried personally but people seem to like them.

Attachments

• B6BE9589-7CF2-4F60-B44F-647EAC921A35.png
    B6BE9589-7CF2-4F60-B44F-647EAC921A35.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Back